Talk about a group of up-and-comers. Hannah Fidell scored the Emerging Woman Award at SXSW 2013, Ben Rosenfield was just in A Most Violent Year and has Woody Allen’s Irrational Man coming up, and Taissa Farmiga absolutely killed it at SXSW 2015 thanks to The Final Girls and Fidell’s latest, 6 Years. Farmiga and Rosenfield lead as Mel and Dan. They’ve been dating for years and plan to live happily ever after together after they graduate, but when he’s offered a job in another state, the opportunity threatens to destroy their relationship.
Shortly after the 6 Years world premiere at SXSW, I got the chance to sit down with Rosenfield, Farmiga and Fidell to discuss making the film. They talked about Mark Duplass’ involvement, working with a “scriptment” rather than a traditional script, the especially close-knit cast and crew, Rosenfield’s experience working with Woody Allen, Farmiga’s thoughts on returning to American Horror Story and more. You can catch it all in the video interview below and click here to check out my review of the film as well.
Ben Rosenfield, Taissa Farmiga & Hannah Fidell:
- 00:00 – Fidell on making the move from A Teacher to 6 Years.
- 00:29 – Getting a call from Mark Duplass after A Teacher.
- 00:57 – On not using a standard script; the “scriptment.”
- 01:51 – Casting talented actors, but also people you’d want to be friends with.
- 03:00 – Living in one of the shooting locations during production.
- 03:24 – On this being an especially close-knit cast and crew.
- 03:55 – Rosenfield and Farmiga on jumping into the particularly intense scenes and then getting out of the character’s headspace ASAP.
- 05:26 – Working on character backstory.
- 06:00 – Character details that didn’t make it into the final cut of the film.
- 06:46 – Everyone can relate to a story about first love.
- 07:26 – Rosenfield on playing a character who works in the music industry.
- 08:18 – The characters didn’t change much from script to screen; they’re just personalized more.
- 08:42 – Farmiga on her experience shooting 6 Years compared to The Final Girls.
- 09:20 – Almost getting to shoot in chronological order.
- 09:53 – They didn’t really have a script supervisor; how that made editing a challenge.
- 10:27 – Fidell on editing during filming; feeling a bit sad when they had to wrap.
- 11:21 – Rosenfield on working with Woody Allen on Irrational Man.
- 12:10 – Farmiga on American Horror Story: Hotel and whether or not she’d return to the series.