With writer-director Ben Younger’s (Boiler Room) boxing drama Bleed for This opening this weekend, I sat down with Miles Teller a few days ago to talk about playing Vinny “The Pazmanian Devil” Pazienza in the film. If you’re not familiar with his incredible true story, after winning two world title fights and shooting to stardom, Pazienza was in a brutal car wreck that left him with a broken neck and was told that he may never walk again. Against all odds and doctor’s orders, renowned trainer Kevin Rooney (played by Aaron Eckhart) agrees to help Vinny return to the ring, just a year after the accident, for what could be the last fight of his life. Bleed for This also stars Katey Sagal and Ciarán Hinds as Pazienza’s parents. The film was produced by Bruce Cohen and Martin Scorsese (full list of producers here).
During the interview Teller talked about the challenges of only having 24 days to make the movie, how this wasn’t some big budget Hollywood film, doing over 40 setups a day (on a bigger film they might only do 10), collaborating with Ben Younger, and a lot more.
Check out what he had to say in the video above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by some images.
- Was it tougher not eating pizza for eight months or wearing the halo while filming?
- How they pulled back on some of the truth because people wouldn’t believe it.
- How they shot the movie in only 24 days.
- On doing over 40 set ups a day and sometimes only two or three takes.
- What was it like collaborating with Ben Younger.