Though I’ve done a lot of set visits, the one I got to do for Alexandre Aja’s The 9th Life of Louis Drax was extremely unusual. Not only did I get to visit the set on my own when the film was shooting in Vancouver, I got to conduct video interviews with most of the cast. Usually set visits are print interviews and done in large groups, so getting to spend the day watching The 9th Life of Louis Drax get made on my own was a lot of fun, and something I’ll never forget.
If you’re not familiar with the thriller, which Summit Premiere and Miramax release in theaters September 2nd, the film centers on a young boy, Louis (Aiden Longworth), who has survived eight near-death experiences, but plunges off a cliff on his ninth birthday. While he survives the fall, he stays in a coma, and it’s up to an intrepid doctor (Jamie Dornan) to find out the truth about what happened to Louis while also happening to fall for Louis’ mother (Sarah Gadon). The film also stars Aaron Paul, Oliver Platt, Molly Parker, and Barbara Hershey. The 9th Life of Louis Drax is based on the novel by Liz Jensen and the script was written by Max Minghella. You can watch the trailer here.
During my interview with Aaron Paul, he talked about how he got involved in the project, what it’s been like working with Alexandre Aja, how the film has a lot of twists and turns, transitioning in his career and landing bigger roles, his family ring, and a lot more.
Check out what he had to say in the video above, and below you’ll find a list of what we talked about. Look for more on set interviews from the set of The 9th Life of Louis Drax in the coming days.
- Talks about where he’s at and what they’re shooting.
- How did he get involved in the project and who he plays?
- How the film has a lot of twists and turns.
- Did the script get adjusted at all when he signed on?
- Lifting people on set when filming a wedding sequence.
- How does he like to typically work when making a film/show?
- What has it been like going from trying to be a working actor to landing bigger roles?
- What has it been like working with Alexandre Aja?
- How he was told not to tweet from set.
- Has he been able to enjoy Vancouver on days off?
- Talks about working with the rest of the cast.
- What has he learned over the past few years that he’s tried to apply to his work now?
- Is he still close friends with Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan?
- Does he like to shoot with multiple cameras? Talks about his recent work with Ridley Scott.
- His family ring.