In addition to the series renewed by ABC, we’ve got some new series pick-ups, along with a couple more renewals and some unfortunate cancellations. Here they are at a glance:
- Renewals: Private Practice, Body of Proof, Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23, Last Man Standing and Scandal
- Pick-Ups: Nashville, Zero Hour, Malibu Country, Last Resort, 666 Park Avenue, Red Widow, How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life, Neighbors, and Family Tools
- Cancellations: GCB, PanAm, Missing and The River
Hit the jump for more.
Let’s start with the familiar series that were renewed for another season: three series from prolific creator Shonda Rhimes (Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice and Scandal) are set to share space on the network for another year; Grey’s will enter its ninth season with Private Practice starting its sixth and Scandal moving into its sophomore year. Another freshman series renewal for the network is Don’t Trust the B, starring Krysten Ritter, Dreama Walker and James Van Der Beek. Tim Allen-starrer, Last Man Standing has also been granted a stay of execution. Body of Proof, the network’s lone procedural, will return for a third season.
Onto the new acquisitions and boy are there quite a few. Let’s simplify things a bit:
- Nashville is a country-music family soap that stars Connie Britton as an artist at the peak of her career and Hayden Panettiere as a performer on the rise.
- Malibu Country stars Reba McEntire as a divorcee who moves herself, her three kids and her mother (Lily Tomlin) to a little house in Malibu to try and resurrect her singing career while keeping the new environment from corrupting her kids.
- Zero Hour stars Anthony Edwards as a skeptical magazine editor who is drawn into a massive conspiracy when his wife is kidnapped.
- Last Resort, from Shield creator Shawn Ryan, stars Andre Braugher and Scott Speedman as part of a crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who refuse to follow orders to fire nuclear missiles. While being hunted by their own military, the crew retreats to a NATO outpost and declare themselves the smallest nuclear nation.
- 666 Park Avenue stars Dave Annabele and Rachael Taylor as a young couple who manage an historic apartment building in New York City in return for dealing with the supernatural events that effect everyone living within the building. 666 co-stars Terry O’Quinn.
- Red Widow, formerly Penoza, stars Radha Mitchell as the widow of an assassinated criminal who takes over her husband’s role in a crime syndicate in order to keep her family safe.
- How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life stars Brad Garrett and Elizabeth Perkins as the meddling parents of Polly (Sarah Chalke), a recently divorced single mom who is forced to move in with them. The series co-stars Orlando Jones, John Dore, Rachel Eggleston and Rebecca Delgado Smith.
- Neighbors, the previously untitled project from Dan Fogelman, centers on a family who moves into a gated community in New Jersey and discovers that the residents are all aliens in disguise.
- Family Tools (formerly Red Van Man, White Van Man and Comeback Jack) centers on a son (Kyle Bornheimer) who is forced to take over the family handyman business from his father (J.K. Simmons). Series co-stars Leah Remini, Edi Gathegi, Johnny Pemberton and Danielle Nicolet.
Again, GCB, PanAm, Missing and The River will not be returning to ABC’s slate this fall.