[If you aren't familiar with the most well-known Spider-Man comic stories, you should probably just stop reading now] Comic book adaptations don’t require strict adherence to the comics. In Sam Raimi‘s Spider-Man, the director took one of the comics’ defining stories—”The Death of Gwen Stacy”—and re-appropriated so that Green Goblin dropped Mary Jane off the bridge instead of Gwen Stacy, and Spider-Man saved his falling love-interest instead of accidentally snapping her neck due to the speed of acceleration being suddenly halted by his web-line. So the question that hangs over The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is if director Marc Webb will follow The Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 (June–July 1973), “The Night Gwen Stacy Died”. New set photos may have the answer.
Hit the jump to check out the set photos but beware of possible spoilers. The film stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Dane DeHaan, Shailene Woodley, Paul Giamatti, Felicity Jones, Chris Cooper, and Sally Field. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens in 3D on May 2, 2014.
As you can see from the set photos, Stone is not only standing near a bridge, but is also wearing a hideous outfit that’s remarkably similar to the one the character is wearing in the comic book issue: light teal jacket, purple blouse and skirt, and black knee-high boots. Also, when I interviewed Stone last year for The Amazing Spider-Man, she told me one of the reasons she signed on to do the role was because of the character’s famous demise.
But going back to my original point, this doesn’t mean Webb is going to follow the comics and this could be a bait-and-switch. Personally, I think he’s going to follow through (the introduction of Woodley as Mary Jane sets up the love interest for the third film), but there’s no definitive proof just yet. If we see set photos of a weeping Garfield holding a motionless Stone in his arms, that will be the definitive proof.
Here’s the official synopsis for The Amazing Spider-Man 2:
In The Amazing Spider-Man™ 2, for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy – between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can’t come quickly enough. Peter hasn’t forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen’s father to protect her by staying away – but that’s a promise he just can’t keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past.
- Possible First Look at Paul Giamatti as the Rhino
- New THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Set Photos and Video Featuring Andrew Garfield and Jamie Foxx
- More Photos of Jamie Foxx as Electro in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
- First Look at Jamie Foxx as Electro in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
- New Behind-the-Scenes Images from THE WOLVERINE and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
- New Images from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Reveal a Massive Times Square Set
- Marc Webb Reveals THE OFFICE Star BJ Novak Is in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 with Latest Set Image
- New Images from Guillermo del Toro’s PACIFIC RIM and Marc Webb’s THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
- First Image of Colm Feore in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
- Set Photo of Ravencroft Institute for the Criminally Insane from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
- Emma Stone and Shailene Woodley Film First Scene Together in Images from the Set of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
- Dane DeHaan Talks THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2; Says the Script is “Epic” and “People Are Going to Love It”
- THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Set Images and Video Feature Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane, the Daily Bugle and an Upside-Down Car Stunt
- More Set Images from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Show the First Look at Sally Field, Plus Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker