Opening this weekend is writer-director Whit Stillman‘s (Metropolitan, Barcelona, The Last Days of Disco) first movie in thirteen years: Damsels in Distress. Filled with the unique characters and dialogue that populate all of his works, Stillman’s latest film is about a group of college coeds (Greta Gerwig, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Carrie MacLemore, Adam Brody, and Analeigh Tipton) whose friendship is threatened by a series of romances, “including slick Charlie (Brody), dreamboat Xavier (Hugo Becker), the mad frat-pack of Frank (Ryan Metcalf), and Thor (Billy Magnussen) — who threaten their friendship and sanity.” For more on the film, here’s the trailer.
At the recent Los Angeles press day, I got to speak with Analeigh Tipton and Hugo Becker. We talked about trying to deliver Stillman’s unique dialogue, how familiar they were with his previous films when they got the roles, favorite movies and actors, karaoke, and you can also watch them impersonate Stillman giving them notes on their line readings. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, if you missed my exclusive video interview with Stillman, click here.
Analeigh Tipton and Hugo Becker
- Tipton’s go-to karaoke song is “Baby Got Back.” Becker can’t top it.
- 0:30 – Becker loves David Fincher’s Fight Club and The Social Network as well as One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Tipton mentions Stage Door, Ginger Rogers, and Katherine Hepburn.
- 1:15 – Becker did not know Stillman’s work when he read for Damsels, but he was aware of The Last Days of Disco. Tipton also didn’t know Stillman’s work, but knew he was a big deal when Julianne Moore was impressed on the set of Crazy Stupid Love.
- 3:10 – They talk about what they had to do to work with Stillman’s unique dialogue.
- 4:00 – Tipon and Becker impersonate Stillman giving them notes on their line readings.