With Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opening this weekend, I recently got to interview some of the cast and filmmakers in New York City and everyday this week I’ll be posting an exclusive interview. Up first is Andy Serkis. If you’re not aware, not only did Serkis reprise the role of Gollum in The Hobbit, he was also the 2nd unit director on the entire Hobbit trilogy!
During the interview Serkis talked about his reaction to seeing The Hobbit for the first time, how he collaborated with Jackson as a director, how technology has changed the way he brought Gollum to life since Lord of the Rings, and more. In addition, with Matt Reeves directing the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) next year, we talked about how excited he is to play Caesar again and whether he has been talking to Reeves about the role. Hit the jump to watch.
- What was his reaction to seeing The Hobbit for the first time
- Was he also helping out in the editing room since he directed second unit
- How has technology changed the way he brought Gollum to life since Lord of the Rings
- Is he more excited to do additional second unit direction on The Hobbit or playing Caesar again in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Has he talked to Matt Reeves yet about the Apes sequel and when does he start filming
Peruse all our recent coverage of The Hobbit below:
- First image from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
- Dave’s review of the film.
- First Image from The Hobbit: There and Back Again Features Orlando Bloom and Luke Evans
- Steve’s set visit round-up and 70 things to know.
- Peter Jackson on-set interview.
- Ian McKellan on-set interview.
- Martin Freeman on-set interview.
- Richard Armitage on-set interview.
- Weta Workshop head Richard Taylor on-set interview.
- 6 clips from the film.
- 20-minutes of behind-the-scenes footage.