Along with Francisco Gonzalez’s excellent weekly news recaps–This Week in Superhero News and This Week in Movie Trailers–we’re happy to provide you with This Week in Animation News to get you caught up on all things animated you might have missed over the past seven days. We’re talking movies, TV shows, digital shorts, and everything in between.
First up is this excellent fan-made trailer for Rupert Sanders‘ upcoming adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. The Paramount Pictures film stars Scarlett Johansson in the lead role of The Major, a cybernetically enhanced crime fighter tasked with taking down bad guys in a far-flung future. While Sanders and Johansson look up to the task of tackling this fan-favorite anime, a recent comparison trailer that matches live-action sequences with the same scenes from the animated franchise makes me even more excited for the film. The creative team behind the adaptation have clearly been paying attention.
Also starring Pilou Asbæk as Batou, with Beat Takeshi (a.k.a. Takeshi Kitano) as Public Security Section 9 founder and chief Daisuke Aramaki, plus Juliette Binoche, Kaori Momoi, and Rila Fukushima, and other Section 9 task force members played by Chin Han, Danusia Samal, Lasarus Ratuere, Yutaka Izumihara, and Tuwanda Manyimo, Ghost in the Shell arrives in theaters on March 31, 2017.
You can check out the comparison trailer below followed by more animation news you might have missed this past week:
For more of our coverage on Ghost in the Shell, be sure to take a look at some of our recent write-ups below:
- Clint Mansell to Score ‘Ghost in the Shell’
- ‘Ghost in the Shell’: New Images of Scarlett Johansson’s Pistols & Costumes from Tokyo
- ‘Ghost in the Shell’: Everything You Need to Know about Hollywood’s Gritty, “Sexy” Adaptation
- First ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Trailer Sees Scarlett Johansson in Futuristic Action
- ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Featurette: Anime Director Comments on Scarlett Johansson’s Casting