A few days ago in Los Angeles I landed an exclusive video interview with Anna Kendrick for Rob Marshall‘s adaptation of Stephen Sondheim‘s classic musical, Into the Woods. In the film she plays Cinderella (you can hear her sing “On the Steps of the Palace” here). During the interview she talked about her experiences on the film, having Meryl Streep sing to her face, and if she really got lost on the set with Chris Pine. She also addresses tweeting during NBC’s Peter Pan Live and how “fucked up” the story of Peter Pan is along with discussing her upcoming films The Voices (with Ryan Reynolds) and John Krasinski’s The Hollers, future plans, and a lot more. It’s a really fun interview so check it out.
If you’re not familiar with Into the Woods, the Disney production stars James Corden and Emily Blunt as a Baker and his wife who venture into the woods to confront the witch (Streep) responsible for putting a curse on the childless couple. Along the way, they run into a number of familiar fairy tale characters including Cinderella (Kendrick), her Prince (Chris Pine), Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Rapunzel (Mackenzie Mauzy), and the Wolf (Johnny Depp). The film also stars also stars Lucy Punch, Daniel Huttlestone, Tracey Ullman, and Christine Baranski. For more on Into the Woods, here’s the trailer, some clips, Matt’s review, and all our previous coverage.
- :05 – How does it feel to win the actor’s lottery? Talks about the last few years of her career.
- 1:15 – Talks about how she approaches choosing films, says “one of these days I gotta get me one of those master plans.”
- 2:23 – Has she done something in the last year or two that she couldn’t believe she got to do? Talks about going on The Daily Show, having Meryl Streep sing to her face, and talking on the phone with Robert Redford.
- 3:45 – Talks about being in a film with a budget of this size.
- 6:25 – Tweeting during Peter Pan Live. Talks about how “fucked up” the story of Peter Pan is and how a lot of stories we loved as kids were dark and weird.
- 8:35 – Talks about The Voices with Ryan Reynolds and how unique it is. Says she was excited to make a movie that’s wholly original.
- 9:55 – Working with John Krasinski on his next directorial effort, The Hollers.
- 10:50 – What’s she making next year? Says she’s undecided.
- 11:20 – Did she and Chris Pine really get lost on the set of Into the Woods?