As most of you know, opening this weekend is director Peyton Reed’s Ant-Man. The film stars Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, a master thief who puts his skills to use when he helps Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) pull off a heist that will protect the secret Ant-Man suit and save the world in the process. The film also stars Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Michael Pena, Judy Greer, Tip “T.I.” Harris, David Dastmalchian, and Bobby Cannavale. Ant-Man opens in theaters on July 17th. For more on Ant-Man, here’s all our previous coverage which includes clips, trailers, images, and more.
At the Los Angeles press day I landed an exclusive video interview with director Peyton Reed. He talked about his first cut, deleted scenes, Easter eggs, how Ant-Man ties into the MCU, the post-credits scenes, the one sequence that was trickiest to get right in the editing room, future projects, and a lot more.
Here’s what he had to say followed by the time index.
Peyton Reed Time Index:
:20 – How much time has he spent on the Marvel lot in the last year?
- :50 – What does he want people to know about the movie? Says Ant-Man is a very different movie for Marvel, particularly in contrast to Age of Ultron.
- 1:49 – How long was the first cut compared to what ended up in theaters?
- 2:28 – How tied up is Ant-Man into the MCU?
- 3:12 – How many deleted scenes are there?
- 3:55 – Will the deleted scenes be on the Blu-ray? Says he’s picking the cream of the crop to be included.
- 4:45 – Will there be another big box set for Phase II and have they asked for additional materials for Ant-Man?
- 5:28 – Says he put the finishing touches on the day of the first press screening.
- 5:38 – What was the one sequence that was trickiest to get right in the editing room? Says the first time Scott uses the scene had a lot of pressure.
- 6:58 – Talks about the two post-credits sequences and when he knew those would be the scenes.
- 8:06 – Talk about the unusual way that he came on board the project, and the biggest challenge of conducting this “moving train”.
- 10:08 – Are there hidden Easter eggs that people should be looking out for?
- 11:30 – What’s coming up next? Is he having conversations with Marvel about more films?