“The best documentary I’ve seen in years” — documentarian Michael Moore
“The year’s great rock movie!” — Rolling Stone
“An alternatively moving and hilarious love story” — Los Angeles Times
“Hilarious and achingly touching” — Critic’s Pick, LA Weekly
“Possibly the greatest film yet made about rock and roll” — The London Times
First things first….instead of me explaining Anvil and why you should see this awesome documentary, read Kenny’s review. He sums up exactly how I feel and it’s a hell of a lot better than what I could do.
Or, for even more perspective, you can read the
But for the people that just need a quick summary, “Anvil! The Story of Anvil” is about following your dreams no matter what life does to you.
The story follows Steve “Lips” Kudlow and Robb Reiner and their heavy metal band, Anvil, which released one of the heaviest albums in metal history, 1982’s Metal on Metal. The album influenced an entire musical generation of rock bands, including Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax, who went on to sell millions of records. Anvil, on the other hand, took a different path—straight to obscurity. The film follows what Steve and Robb are up to nowadays, and it shows them trying to make it even after all these years. It’s a wonderful and often hilarious account of Anvil’s last-ditch quest for elusive fame and fortune, with appearances by an array of heavy metal icons, including Metallica’s Lars Ulrich, Guns N’ Roses’ Slash, Anthrax’s Scott Ian, and Slayer’s Tom Araya, among others.
Again, one of the best documentaries I’ve seen in a long, long time and by the end you’ll be buying an Anvil CD and trying to help them any way you can.
Now here’s the best part for some of you out there, Anvil is promoting the film by playing a set after the film ends. So if you live near any of the cities listed below, I STRONGLY suggest going. You’ll love it.
· The Palladium Worcester, Massachusetts, USA April 16, 2009 The ANVIL Experience
· Trocadero Theatre Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA April 17, 2009 The ANVIL Experience
· The Crofoot Pontiac, Michigan, USA(near Detroit) April 21, 2009 The ANVIL Experience
· Metro Chicago, Illinois, USA April 22, 2009 The ANVIL Experience
And now for the reason you’re here, the other day I sat down with Steve “Lips” Kudlow and Robb Reiner and the interview is below. You’ll hear us talking about making the film, what life is like now, and even how the band is going to be in the game “Rock Band”.
Finally, below the interview are 5 clips from the movie.
And one last thing…VH1 has picked up the film so at some point it’ll be playing on the network. Even if it’s awhile before you see it, try and catch it down the road. Can’t recommend the film enough.
“Anvil! The Story of Anvil” is currently playing in NYV and L.A.
Anvil Interview – part 1
· Were they reluctant to do this documentary and how did it all begin
· Did having the cameras help make This is Thirteen a better album
Anvil Interview – part 2
· We talk about the Hollywood premiere
· I ask about the 14th album and what’s the status
· Any chance of some musician friends contributing to the album
· They talk about how they just re-recorded Metal on Metal for the game Rock Band
· How did they decide what to play at the premier as it was only a 20 minute set