Rumor: Arnold Schwarzenegger to Play the Villain in AVATAR 2
The Avatar series recently expanded to a quadrilogy plus four novels. First things first: Avatar 2 is scheduled for December 2016, but it’s never too early to throw ourselves headfirst into the gray ether of the rumor mill. Sources tell Latino Review that Arnold Schwarzenegger will play a “bad guy human general.” It makes enough sense. Schwarzenegger and Cameron made Terminator, Terminator 2, and True Lies together, and could be looking to reunite. The evil military man follows from Stephen Lang‘s villain in the first movie, Colonel Quaritch. Schwarzenegger’s may be the right actor to portray the escalating human threat.
Yet it feels like a stretch. Cameron built an immersive fantasy universe in Avatar free from distracting big-name stars (all due respect to Sigourney Weaver). Casting Schwarzenegger takes the sequels in a different direction. I trust Cameron, so if he wants to cast Schwarzenegger, I can’t wait to see how he does it. In three years. We’ll keep you busy with plenty more rumors in the next 39 months. Hit the jump for more on the sequels.
Cameron plans to shoot Avatar 2, Avatar 3, and the prequel Avatar 4 simultaneously in 2014 with Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana returning. Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, and Shane Salerno will collaborate with Cameron on the scripts. Cameron remarked:
“Building upon the world we created with Avatar has been a rare and incredibly rewarding experience. In writing the new films, I’ve come to realize that Avatar’s world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen. And to help me continue to expand this universe, I’m pleased to bring aboard Amanda, Rick, Shane and Josh — all writers I’ve long admired - to join me in completing the films screenplays.”
Are you excited about the direction of the Avatar series? Can you picture Schwarzenegger stomping around Pandora?
Click here for all Avatar coverage or browse the links below:
- AVATAR Franchise Expanded to Three Sequels as James Cameron Recruits Co-Writers; AVATAR 2 Set for December 2016 Release
- Zoe Saldana Expects AVATAR 2 and AVATAR 3 to Begin Shooting Back-to-Back in Early 2014
- Sam Worthington Talks AVATAR Sequels
- AVATAR 2 to Use Underwater Motion-Capture; AVATAR 3 Will Wrap up Jake and Neytiri’s Story
- James Cameron Says He’s Trying to Avoid “THE MATRIX RELOADED Problem” on AVATAR Sequels
- 'The Perfection' Director Talks Us Through the Biggest Twists in Netflix's Shocking Thriller
- Here’s a Full List of Upcoming DC Movies: From ‘The Joker’ to ‘Aquaman 2’
- Harrison Ford on Who Should Replace Him as Indiana Jones: “Nobody!”
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Release Date Delayed for Major Dental Surgery
- Christian Bale and Matt Damon Team Up in First ‘Ford v. Ferrari’ Images