Star Wars-themed lands and new enhancements to the Star Tours ride aren’t the only theme park plans Disney is working on. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek also announced a new Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, an Iron Man ride for Hong Kong Disneyland, and he shared new details about The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Let’s start with the Iron Man Experience. The simulator was first announced two years ago and will mark Disney’s very first Marvel ride. The story involves Tony Stark bringing Stark Expo to Tomorrowland in Hong Kong to show off the Iron Man suits. The simulator portion of the experience will allow riders to fly alongside Iron Man while he goes up against “the forces of evil.”
The 11-acre Toy Story Land will transport visitors right into Andy’s backyard. There’s going to be a family-friendly roller coaster, an alien saucer attraction and Toy Story Mania!, which has been around for a number of years but is getting a third track expansion.
The one I’m most curious to check out is The World of AVATAR, which will be the largest expansion in the park’s history. Right now Animal Kingdom closes earlier than the other parks, but when Avatar rolls in, it’ll have longer hours so it can offer new nighttime entertainment experiences. There’s the stage show “Rivers of Light,” nighttime hours for Kilimanjaro Safaris and then, of course, the actual World of AVATAR, a themed land that includes AVATAR Flight of Passage, a ride that puts you on a Banshee and lets you fly over an alien world.
If you’d like to check out the full specs, here’s the Avatar, Toy Story and Iron Man portions of the official press release:
Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida
The reimagining of Disney’s Hollywood Studios will take guests to infinity and beyond, allowing them to step into the worlds of their favorite films, starting with Toy Story Land. This new 11-acre land will transport guests into the adventurous outdoors of Andy’s backyard. Guests will think they’ve been shrunk to the size of Woody and Buzz as they are surrounded by oversized toys that Andy has assembled using his vivid imagination. Using toys like building blocks, plastic buckets and shovels, and game board pieces, Andy has designed the perfect setting for this land, which will include two new attractions for any Disney park and one expanded favorite.
- Family-friendly roller coaster – All on the back of Slinky Dog, this coaster will zip and zoom, plunge and coast as it takes guests on a fun, toy-filled adventure throughout the new land.
- Alien saucers attraction – The famous little green aliens from the movie will take guests around for a spin in their very own flying saucers. The music, lighting and sound effects add to the flurry of action, while “The Claw” looms over.
- Toy Story Mania! – Guests glide into the Toy Story Midway Games Play Set and take aim at 3D objects in a variety of fast-paced games, with an expansion that adds a third track to this popular attraction.
After Dark at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Pandora – The World of AVATAR
As part of the largest expansion in the park’s history, Disney’s Animal Kingdom will immerse guests into the world of Pandora, and the entire park will transform after dark with new nighttime entertainment experiences, offering guests longer days than ever before to experience this one-of-a-kind theme park.
- “Rivers of Light” – Expected to open next spring, “Rivers of Light” will be an innovative experience unlike anything ever seen in a Disney park, combining live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery. “Rivers of Light” will magically come to life on the natural stage of Discovery River, delighting guests and truly capping off a full day of adventures at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- Kilimanjaro Safaris – This popular attraction will be extended for a new nighttime adventure next spring, where guests will travel through the African savanna amid the magically extended orange glow of the setting sun and discover two species new to the attraction: African wild dogs and hyenas.
- Pandora – The World of AVATAR – Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests will journey into the magnificent world of Pandora at this new AVATAR-themed land – a world that includes floating mountains, a bioluminescent forest and the winged creatures known as Banshees, giving guests a transformational experience they will never forget.
- AVATAR Flight of Passage – This E-ticket attraction, the centerpiece of Pandora, allows guests to soar on a Banshee over a vast alien world. The spectacular flying experience will give guests a birds-eye view of the beauty and grandeur of the world of Pandora on an aerial rite of passage.
Iron Man Unveiled for Hong Kong Disneyland
Iron Man landed at D23 EXPO today for a special appearance, and soon Hong Kong Disneyland guests will have the opportunity to meet and take photos with the Super Hero himself. Set to open in 2016, Iron Man Experience will be the first Marvel attraction at any Disney park, taking guests on an epic adventure over the streets and in the sky above Hong Kong. The adventure will begin at the new Stark Expo where guests board the Iron Wing to take flight and battle Hydra alongside fan-favorite Avenger, Iron Man.