Avengers: Age of Ultron is packed, and while it doesn’t have a “Hulk Smash Loki” moment, there are still plenty of memorable parts of the movie. In an interview with Empire, Whedon went into the development of some of the film’s plotlines and biggest moments. [Major spoilers ahead]
To begin, expect to see an alternate cut of the bedroom scene between Bruce (Mark Ruffalo) and Natasha (Scarlett Johansson) on the DVD/Blu-ray:
“…when we first shot it the question was answered and he rejected her. It’s some of the most beautiful stuff and I hated to cut it. But when they suggested it, the reasoning was that you shouldn’t answer the question until the end of the movie. I thought that was interesting. But it’s difficult because Scarlett [Johansson] had been playing that this happened, so we had to reshoot some stuff.”
Additionally, in the finished film, when Banner tells Natasha, “Where in the world am I not a threat?” was Whedon’s little nod to the Planet Hulk arc in the comics, but he acknowledges “We don’t plan to make Planet Hulk, as far as I know, so they were like, ‘Just sky, no stars!’ which was less poetic,” when it comes to the final shot of Hulk in the Quinjet.
Moving on to the big character death, Whedon loved toying with the audience to make them think Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) was going to die (a point he admitted was rendered inert once news broke that the character would appear in Captain America: Civil War), and then went and offed Quicksilver (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) instead. However, there was the possibility that Quicksilver could have made it through if the studio demanded it, and they even shot footage of the speedster as part of the new Avengers at the end:
“I said to Aaron, ‘The only way you’ll stay alive is if the Disney executives say, “Hey idiot, this is a franchise, and we need all these people and you’re not allowed to kill them off!”‘ We did actually shoot him in the last scene, in an outfit, with his sister. We also shot him, waking up, saying, ‘Ah, I didn’t really die from these 47 bullet wounds!’ Actually, we shot something else with that, but… maybe I’ll let you know about that later. But the intent was to earn this, and then you have to stand by it.”
Whedon says on the DVD, we’ll get more of Quicksilver’s character and see “he’s the biggest pussy hound,” and “Hawkeye genuinely hates this guy, and that’s the guy who saves him. I knew it would be resonant, and make everything else work better and matter more.” We don’t really see that hatred in the movie, but Quicksilver’s sacrifice would have worked slightly better if we had seen more of “The most arrogant, the most annoying one.”
When I went to see Age of Ultron a second time, Vision (Paul Bettany) picking up Mjolnir got one of the best reactions, and it’s a moment that came late in the game. The party scene and Quicksilver trying to life Mjolnir were both in the script, but late in the process, Whedon decided to make Vision lift the hammer because he needed a shortcut to have the gang trust the character.
Finally, while it looks like Captain America (Chris Evans) is about to say “Avengers Assemble” at the end of the movie, it was always just “Avengers” and cutting him off before he can say the next word. “With all my complaints, it was in the script exactly as you see it,” says Whedon. “’He draws breath to say the next word. Blackout.’ So to know that we landed exactly where I wanted to go, however many stumbles along the way, was extremely gratifying.
For all of our recent Avengers: Age of Ultron coverage, peruse the links below:
- Kevin Feige answers lingering AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Questions
- Bad Intel: How Did Early AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Rumors Shake Out?
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Ending Explained
- Joss Whedon Explains Why Loki Isn’t in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Review
- Watch: Joss Whedon and the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Cast Play “Save or Kill”
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON: 75 High-Resolution Pictures Feature Vision, Hulk, and More
- Scarlett Johansson Talks AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, CIVIL WAR, and the BLACK WIDOW Movie
- Joss Whedon and the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Cast Reveal Their Worst Jobs Ever
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Home Release to Include Extended Cut, Alternate Ending
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Clip Reveals the Birth of Vision
- New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Featurette Reveals Its All Tony’s Fault
- BLACK WIDOW Movie: Scarlett Johansson and Kevin Feige Have Discussed Series of Films
- Chris Hemsworth Reveals the 3 Marvel Movies Left on His Contract
- Can Hulk Survive in Space? Mark Ruffalo Weighs In
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Director Joss Whedon Talks Easter Eggs, First Cut
- Mark Ruffalo Reveals Universal Owns the Rights to Standalone HULK Movies
- Scarlett Johansson Teases “Psychological Twists” in CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
- Spider-Man Is Not in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, Says Kevin Feige
- Joss Whedon Says He’s Taking a Break From Marvel
- Marvel’s Kevin Feige Reveals When His Contract Ends
- SPIDER-MAN: Kevin Feige Confirms Peter Parker, Talks High School Spidey