Disney has released the first Avengers: Age of Ultron clip from writer/director Joss Whedon’s highly anticipated Marvel Studios sequel. The clip debuted earlier tonight during ABC’s new episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., where the first trailer was set to premiere before it leaked last week. Age of Ultron sees the titular Avengers battling a force of their own invention, as Tony Stark’s new robot Ultron gets a mind of his own and decides that humanity is in need of wiping out. This clip is essentially what was shown at Comic-Con this summer, and it shows that despite the serious tone of the trailer, there’s still plenty of fun to be had. In the clip, the Avengers are letting off steam in the form of an Avengers party in Stark’s penthouse, as they each take turns trying to lift Thor’s hammer. Shenanigans ensue.
Watch the first Avengers: Age of Ultron clip after the jump. The film stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Jeremy Renner, James Spader, Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Paul Bettany, Don Cheadle, Andy Serkis, and Samuel L. Jackson. Avengers: Age of Ultron opens in theaters on May 1, 2015.
Here’s the official synopsis for Avengers: Age of Ultron:
Marvel Studios presents “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” the epic follow-up to the biggest Super Hero movie of all time. When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to The Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for an epic and unique global adventure.
Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” stars Robert Downey Jr., who returns as Iron Man, along with Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. Together with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, and with the additional support of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, the team must reassemble to defeat James Spader as Ultron, a terrifying technological villain hell-bent on human extinction. Along the way, they confront two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Wanda Maximoff, played by Elizabeth Olsen, and Pietro Maximoff, played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and meet an old friend in a new form when Paul Bettany becomes Vision.
Written and directed by Joss Whedon and produced by Kevin Feige, Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” is based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series “The Avengers,” first published in 1963. Louis D’Esposito, Alan Fine, Victoria Alonso, Jeremy Latcham, Patricia Whitcher, Stan Lee and Jon Favreau serve as executive producers. Get set for an action-packed thrill ride when The Avengers return in Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” on May 1, 2015.
If you missed all of today’s extensive Marvel coverage, peruse the links below:
- Marvel Reveals Phase 3 Release Dates: BLACK PANTHER in 2017; CAPTAIN MARVEL in 2018; AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR in 2018 and 2019
- 42 Star Chadwick Boseman to Star in BLACK PANTHER; First Look at the Costume Revealed
- Two-Part AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Announced for May 2018 and May 2019
- THOR: RAGNAROK Set for Release on July 28, 2017; Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston Returning
- Kevin Feige Talks Details on CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, BLACK PANTHER, CAPTAIN MARVEL, INHUMANS, and More
- CAPTAIN MARVEL Movie Set for a July 6, 2018 Release
- Watch Thanos Flaunt His Infinity Gauntlet in Footage from the AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Announcement; Film Is the “Culmination” of the MCU
- Check Out Images from Today’s Marvel Event Featuring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and Chadwick Boseman
- Marvel Says No Black Widow or Hulk Standalone Films in the Works
- Robert Downey Jr. Talks Ultron, The Vision, Finally Getting to Know Joss Whedon, Tony’s Evolution, and More on the Set of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
- Mark Ruffalo Talks More Hulk, Bruce’s Relationship with Tony, Fighting the Hulkbuster, The Vision, and More on the Set of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON