As you’ve probably gleaned from the past week, we here at Collider managed to pull a lot of coverage from San Diego Comic-Con 2014. Following a series of press line interviews with the cast of Avengers: Age of Ultron that Steve conducted backstage after the film’s Hall H panel, today we’re bringing you his video interview with Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, and Jeremy Renner, plus an unexpected cameo by Mr. Robert Downey Jr.
In the interview, the actors discuss the disbanded nature of S.H.I.E.L.D., their reactions to first reading the Age of Ultron script and seeing normal human conversations (though Renner notes that he didn’t understand anything that was happening in the second half of the script), the atmosphere on set for the sequel versus the first film, and more. Hit the jump to watch the video interview. Avengers: Age of Ultron opens in theaters on May 1, 2015.
Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, and Jeremy Renner:
- :13 – Where does the organization of S.H.I.E.L.D. stand when Age of Ultron picks up?
- :35 – Their reactions to first reading the script and getting to have normal conversations in the movie instead of just jargon. Renner admits that the second half of the script was much more confusing.
- 1:29 – Robert Downey Jr. crashes the interview.
- 2:05 – The atmosphere on set for the sequel versus the first film. Samuel L. Jackson says Whedon probably hurt himself dancing at his birthday party.
- 3:10 – Raising the stakes in the follow-up.