Yeah, so Avengers: Endgame is about to break every box office record imaginable. Probably some we haven’t imagined yet, to be honest. After taking in an unprecedented $60 million in Thursday previews, The Russo Brothers‘ massive Marvel movie earned an astounding $156.7 million by the end of Friday night. This number soars over Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the best opening day ever, booting The Dark Knight Rises out of the top 10.
For comparison, here is the updated top 10 opening day list:
- Avengers: Endgame – $156,700,000
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $119,119,282
- Avengers: Infinity War – $106,334,939
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $104,684,491
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 – $91,071,119
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $84,424,532
- Jurassic World – $81,954,950
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice – $81,558,505
- Marvel’s The Avengers – $80,813,985
- Black Panther – $75,941,146
This puts Endgame on track for an eye-popping opening weekend of $340 million+ domestically and a billion worldwide, both of which are easily record-breakers. (Avengers: Infinity War currently holds the top stop for an opening weekend domestically with $257 million.) Of course, the number in the back of everyone’s mind is $2.78 billion, the worldwide haul of James Cameron‘s Avatar in 2009 that still stands as the highest box office total of all time. Riding a wave of nostalgia, long-term storytelling, beloved characters, and spoiler-phobia, can Endgame take the crown for Disney? Folks, it’s mighty possible.
The weekend (smartly) saw no other major new releases, and no other movie topped $3 million. Funny enough, audiences who needed a last-minute refresher course look to have buoyed Captain Marvel, which rose back up to the number two spot in its eighth week with $2.5 million. Warner Bros.’ The Curse of La Llorona landed in third with $2.46 million. Breakthrough and Shazam! rounded out the top five with $1.9 million and $1.5 million, respectively.
Take a look at Friday’s numbers below and check back tomorrow to see a few more records get broken. (Numbers via Box Office Mojo)
|3.||The Curse of La Llorona||$2,460,000||$36,244,301|
For more on Avengers: Endgame, check out the links below:
- Every Way ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Changes the MCU
- The ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Ending and the Importance of Bringing Stories to a Close
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Review: An Exhilarating Epic Like You’ve Never Seen Before
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’: Seriously, Who Is That Kid?