Not that Avengers: Infinity War ever needed to be longer, but Marvel has been releasing the deleted scenes that will appear on the comic book character-a-palooza’s home video release. The latest sees Zoe Saldana‘s Gamora confronting her adopted father Thanos (James Brolin) about the whole kidnapping and slaughtering her entire homeworld thing. In turn, the Mad Titan calls out his daughter for lying about the Soul Stone, the orange MacGuffin for which he’ll later toss her off a cliff to possess. (Spoilers, I suppose, for this movie that came out three months ago.)
At four minutes long, the scene would’ve added very little to the story other than a bit of bloat, especially because everything said is said better and more concisely elsewhere. But it does establish that 1) Marvel should have given Zoe Saldana much more weighty material to work with before they booted her off a mountain, 2) Josh Brolin’s performance lends Thanos an authority even when unfinished CGI makes the character look like an NFL linebacker wearing one of the masks from Eyes Wide Shut, and 3) Unfinished Thanos looks exactly like completely finished Steppenwolf, which really just makes you wonder.
Check out the full scene below [via USA Today], which is one of four total deleted scenes that will appear on the Avengers: Infinity War Blu-ray.
— USA TODAY Life (@usatodaylife) July 30, 2018
Here’s the full list of bonus features for the home video release of Avengers: Infinity War:
– Strange Alchemy (5:08)– Share the thrill of characters from across the MCU meeting for the first time—and discover why some were teamed up together. – The Mad Titan (6:34) – Explore the MCU’s biggest, baddest villain, his trail of influence through the stories, and the existential threat he represents. – Beyond the Battle: Titan (9:36) – Dive into the climactic struggle on Thanos’ ruined world, including the epic stunts and VFX, to uncover the source of its power. – Beyond the Battle: Wakanda (10:58) – Go behind the scenes to find out how the filmmakers pulled off the most massive and challenging battle Marvel had ever attempted. – Deleted and Extended Scenes (10:07)
- Happy Knows Best (1:23) – Tony and Pepper spar over the details of their upcoming wedding—until a hassled Happy Hogan pulls up with an urgent request.
- Hunt for the Mind Stone (1:24) – On a darkened street, Wanda Maximoff and the wounded Vision attempt to hide from Thanos’ brutal allies.
- The Guardians Get Their Groove Back (3:20) – As Peter Quill and Drax quarrel over their failed mission to Knowhere, Mantis interrupts with news.
- A Father’s Choice (4:00) – Thanos confronts Gamora with a vision from her past—and with lying to him about the Soul Stone.
– Gag Reel (2:05)– Watch your favorite Super Heroes make super gaffes in this lighthearted collection of on-set antics. – Audio Commentary (approx. 149 min.) by Anthony and Joe Russo, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely