With director Ben Affleck’s The Town premiering at the Toronto Film Festival, I got to sit down with the producer Basil Iwanyk to talk about making The Town and his other projects like Clash of the Titans 2, the remake of A Star is Born, The Seventh Son (with director Sergey Bodrov), and he even gave me an update on The Expendables 2 because he just spoke with Avi Lerner.
The big news about A Star is Born is he thinks in the next 6 to 8 weeks the film might be coming together and they’re aiming to shoot in the first 4 or 5 months of next year. He also tells me that he’s incredibly happy with the script for Clash of the Titans 2 and that it takes place 5 or 6 years after the first film and it’ll be more realistic – including the depiction of the monsters. He also reveals Gemma Arterton will be back.
Finally, for people who thought the first Clash of the Titans had some problems…Iwanyk is extremely candid about his thoughts on the first film and why it didn’t completely work. He also reveals why we’ll never see the full set of deleted scenes. So much more after the jump:
Since the interview is over ten minutes, I’ve time indexed the entire thing so you can watch the parts that interest you. The beginning is about the first and second Clash of the Titans and around time index 7:55 it jumps into his other projects.
Look for more with Basil Iwanyk in the next day or so (it will cover The Town):
Producer Basil Iwanyk
- What happened on Clash of the Titans? What I saw on set wasn’t the version I expected in theaters. Talks about how the critics didn’t love the film and how the 3D was criticized
- 2:55 – I ask about the role of the Gods in the movie (admits they never had it figured out in the script stage)
- 3:05 – Are all the deleted scenes lost forever or will we eventually see them
- 4:00 – How is the script coming along on Clash 2 and is Gemma Arterton in the movie (she is). Also talks about how the script is coming along on the new one
- 6:50 – Confirms they are filming again in London and in some of the same places
- 7:00 – What is the tone of the sequel and how does it compare to the first? Says it will be based more in reality and more real. Says the first one was comic booky while the second one will feel more real – including the depiction of the monsters.
- 7:45 – Says 5 or 6 years will have passed from the first film
- 7:55 – What else is coming up for him? Talks about A Star is Born and how in the next 6 to 8 weeks a version might be coming together. Says it would start shooting in the first 4 or 5 months of 2011. Also talks about a script that used to be called The Spooks Apprentice and now it’s called The Seventh Son with director Sergey Bodrov attached. They are about to present artwork to the studio and he hopes it will go next year
- 10:55 – Expendables 2 talk