BatKid is the hero San Francisco deserves, and the one it needs right now. With the help of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, San Francisco’s finest and some 12,000 volunteers, the City by the Bay was turned into Gotham City for one afternoon, and five-year-old Miles, aka BatKid, was tasked with defending it. BatKid’s greatest foe to this point has been his battle with leukemia, but today he took down such nefarious Bat-nemeses as The Riddler and Penguin. The day wasn’t all work and no play for BatKid, however, as his sidekick, Batman, drove him around the city in the Lamborghini Batcar; the duo also stopped to refuel at Burger Bar before BatKid received the key to the city from the mayor himself. All in a day’s work! Hit the jump for more.
News of #SFBatKid’s exploits can be found all over social media today as the internet overwhelmingly agrees how awesome and special this event was for young Miles. Here’s a look at BatKid’s schedule from earlier today (via Make-A-Wish):
- 10:30 am: Watch him rescue a damsel in distress, who is tied up across the Hyde Street cable car line
- 11 am: See him catch his nemesis The Riddler as he attempts to rob a vault
- 12:45 pm: See The Penguin kidnap Lou Seal and drive off being chased by Miles
- Read all about it: The San Francisco Chronicle will be passing out 1,000 copies of a special-edition “Gotham City Chronicle” in Union Square with a special story written by Clark Kent and Lois Lane.
- 1 pm: Watch as Batkid arrives at AT&T Park at 3rd and King side to apprehend the villain and free Lou Seal.
- 2 pm: Join in a massive celebration at City Hall at 2 pm as SF Mayor Ed Lee gives Miles the key to the city and congratulates him on a job well done.
All in a day’s work for the pint-sized superhero. Watch live streaming video of the day’s events while they last. And if this doesn’t convince you how awesome Make-a-Wish is, I’ll remind you that, a little over a year ago, Ron Perlman dressed up as Hellboy to visit one of his greatest fans for the charity organization.
Update: As if BatKid wasn’t enough cool DC news for the day, The CW’s Arrow (Stephen Amell) got in on the action and thanked his fellow hero for taking care of all the crime with this special video:
No crime left to fight. Thanks #BatKid https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=534920459926559 …