This summer is already off to a big start with films like Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mad Max: Fury Road, and this weekend’s sure-to-be-monstrous Jurassic World, but next year summer comes very early. The March 2016 release date of Warner Bros.’ highly anticipated Man of Steel follow-up Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice begins the summer blockbuster season literally just a few days after winter officially ends, and it’s sure to get things off to a momentous start.
We’ve already seen a number of teaser images and even a teaser trailer for director Zack Snyder’s star-studded superhero pic, but thus far Warner Bros. has yet to release an official synopsis. However, with the Licensing Expo set to begin tomorrow in Las Vegas, we’ve been provided with what appears to be the first synopsis for Batman v Superman. Take a gander below:
Fearing the actions of a god-like super hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.
This jibes with what we’ve been hearing about the pic over the past year or so, and with the tone of the first teaser trailer. Snyder and screenwriter Chris Terrio take the “first contact” story of Man of Steel to its most likely next scenario, and that’s where Batman comes in—as an Earthbound justice-seeker who sees the alien Superman as a threat to humanity.
But what’s this “new threat” that presumably puts an end to Batman and Superman’s bickering? We still don’t know exactly how Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor factors into the story, but one imagines he’s not the only antagonistic force that takes on the two heroes. And where does Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman fit? With nine months still to go until release we’ve still got a ways to go before the story unfolds onscreen, but this synopsis is certainly tantalizing.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice opens in theaters on March 26, 2016 and also stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, Diane Lane, Jeremy Irons, Scoot McNairy, Jason Momoa, and Holly Hunter.
Click here to catch up on all of our Batman v Superman coverage, or peruse the recent links below.
- BATMAN V SUPERMAN: 12 Pictures of Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman Costumes
- BATMAN V SUPERMAN: 16 New High-Resolution Batmobile Pictures, Plus Specs
- Warner Bros. Exec Outlines DC Movie Universe Plans; Courting “Master Filmmakers”
- Armie Hammer and Henry Cavill Talk MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. and BATMAN V SUPERMAN at CinemaCon
- Henry Cavill Says BATMAN V SUPERMAN Is Not a MAN OF STEEL Sequel
- Take Another Look at the BATMAN V SUPERMAN Batsuit
- First Posters for BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE
- Over 30 Images from the BATMAN V SUPERMAN Trailer
- BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Trailer Teases Clash of Superheroes