Earlier this summer, Universal invited us to go to Industrial Light & Magic, the effects studio behind Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and other classic blockbusters. With the upcoming release of Battleship on Blu-ray, we spoke with animation supervisor Glen McIntosh and CG supervisor Willi Geiger. Learning about the tech stuff behind the movie is such a joy, and during my interview with McIntosh and Geiger, they discussed their responsibilities on the film, creating the physicality of the aliens, lighting the CG water, how to make “something otherworldly look real,” and more.
Hit the jump to check out the interview, and click here for my interview with visual effects supervisors Grady Cofer and Pablo Helman. Battleship hits Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital Download on August 28th.
Glen McIntosh and Willi Geiger:
- 0:26 – McIntosh and Geiger talk about their responsibilities on the film.
- 2:08 – The thinking behind the movement of the aliens.
- 3:34 – Explaining the musculature in the aliens’ hands.
- 4:50 – How to make something otherworldly look real.
- 6:00 – The challenges of lighting the CGI water.
- 7:10 – Taking things they’ve learned from making Battleship and applying it to future projects.