We’re bringing you the first images from films that will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January, and today we bring you the first images from two documentaries that will premiere out-of-competition at the prestigious festival: Becoming Chaz and The Interrupters. Becoming Chaz follows female-born Chastity Bono (daughter of Sonny and Cher) and her deeply personal journey in transitioning from female to male.
The Interrupters comes from Steve James, director of the highly acclaimed 1994 documentary Hoop Dreams. In The Interrupters, James tells the story of ex-gang members who are now protecting their communities from the violence they themselves once employed. Hit the jump to check out images and a brief synopsis for both films, which will be playing out-of-competition. The 2011 Sundance Film Festival runs from January 20 -30th.
(Directors: Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato) – Born biologically female, Chastity Bono invites the viewer into a deeply personal journey as he transitions from female to male, embracing his true self, which is Chaz.
(Director: Steve James) – From the Academy Award-winning director of Hoop Dreams comes a story of ex-gang members who are now protecting their communities from the violence they themselves once employed.
And here are links to the first images from other films playing at Sundance:
- Another Earth (starring William Mapother, Brit Marling, and Jordan Baker)
- Benavides Born (starring Corina Calderon, Jeremy Ray Valdez, and Joseph Julian Soria)
- Cedar Rapids (starring John C. Reilly, Ed Helms, and Sigourney Weaver)
- Circumstance (starring Nikohl Boosheri, Sarah Kazemy, and Reza Sixo Safai)
- The Convincer (starring Greg Kinnear, Billy Crudup, and Alan Arkin)
- The Details (starring Tobey Maguire, Elizabeth Banks, and Laura Linney)
- The Devil’s Double (starring Dominic Cooper, Ludivine Sagnier, and Mimoun Oaissa)
- HERE (starring Ben Foster, Lubna Azabal and Narek Nersisyan)
- Higher Ground (starring Vera Farmiga, John Hawkes, and Dagmara Dominczyk)
- Homework (starring Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, and Michael Angarano)
- I Melt With You (starring Rob Lowe, Thomas Jane, and Jeremy Piven)
- The Ledge (starring Charlie Hunnam, Liv Tyler, Patrick Wilson, Terrence Howard, Christopher Gorham)
- Life in a Day (directed by Kevin Macdonald, produced by Ridley Scott)
- Like Crazy (starring Anton Yelchin, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlie Bewley, Alex Kingston)
- Little Birds (starring Juno Temple, Kay Panabaker, Leslie Mann, Kate Bosworth, and Kyle Gallner)
- Margin Call (starring Kevin Spacey, Zachary Quinto, and Paul Bettany)
- Martha Marcy May Marlene (starring Elizabeth Olsen, Hugh Dancy, and John Hawkes)
- The Music Never Stopped (starring J.K. Simmons, Julia Ormond, and Cara Seymour)
- My Idiot Brother (starring Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, and Zooey Deschanel)
- On The Ice (starring Josiah Patkotak, Frank Qutuq Irelan, Teddy Kyle Smith, Adamina Kerr, and Sierra Jade Sampson)
- Pariah (starring Adepero Oduye, Pernell Walker and Kim Wayans)
- Perfect Sense (starring Ewan McGregor, Eva Green, and Ewen Bremner)
- Red State (directed by Kevin Smith; Starring Michael Parks, John Goodman, and Melissa Leo)
- Salvation Boulevard (starring Pierce Brosnan, Jennifer Connelly, and Ed Harris)
- The Son of No One (starring Channing Tatum, Al Pacino, and Juliette Binoche)
- Terri (starring Jacob Wysocki, John C. Reilly, and Creed Bratton)
- Win Win (starring Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan, and Jeffrey Tambor)