Bella Thorne’s been working non-stop for the large majority of her life, appearing in a number of TV shows including Big Love and MTV’s Scream, and starring in the popular Disney Channel series Shake It Up. On the film front you might have caught her in Blended or The DUFF, but even if none of these ring a bell, you’ll likely come across Thorne’s work soon enough because she’s got a lot coming up.
There’s Amityville: The Awakening, Boo! A Madea Halloween and possibly a horror comedy called The Babysitter coming out this year, but on top of that, she’s also got a brand new film at SXSW, and one that marks her first producing credit nonetheless. Shovel Buddies stars Alex Neustaedter as Jimmy. When his best friend Sammy loses his battle with leukemia, it falls upon Jimmy, their other friend Dan (Kian Lawley), Jimmy’s little brother Lump (Anton Starkman) and Sammy’s sister Kate (Thorne) to fulfill his final wish – to be buried in his favorite football jersey.
While in Austin celebrating the film’s world premiere, I got the opportunity to talk to Thorne about getting involved in the project, the actor who plays Sammy’s corpse, what it was like working with co-directors Si & Ad and how she takes charge when choosing her roles. On top of that, we also got the chance to squeeze in a quick round of “Would You Rather.” You can catch it all in the video interview below.
- 00:05 – What is Shovel Buddies?
- 00:38 – A real actor was cast to play the dead body.
- 01:12 – Why Thorne got involved in this project; on often being told to “act younger.”
- 02:33 – Getting notes from Si & Ad as co-directors.
- 03:48 – On the size of the crew; “the smaller the crew, the better the crew.”
- 04:32 – On choosing her roles; why she signed on for The Babysitter despite her agent’s advice.
- 06:15 – Thorne plays “Would You Rather.”