Opening Christmas Day is Ben Stiller‘s latest directorial effort The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. In the film, Stiller stars as the eponymous LIFE Magazine negative asset manager who, incapable of standing up for himself in the real world, retreats to a fantasy where he becomes his poised, confident opposite. On his quest, he seeks to find a missing image taken by a photographer played by Sean Penn. The movie also stars Kristen Wiig as his love interest, and Adam Scott, Shirley MacLaine, Patton Oswalt, and Kathryn Hahn. While Stiller is known for his great work behind the camera on Tropic Thunder and Zoolander, Walter Mitty is definitely his most adult effort to date and the film is a beautiful look at life.
At the New York City press day, I landed a video interview with Stiller. He talked about balancing the tone, the length of his assembly cut, deleted fantasy sequences, what will be on the Blu-ray, his desire to direct more often, and more. Hit the jump to watch
- What do I need to do to get him to direct more? I offer to put in money for a Zoolander sequel.
- Balancing the different tones as a director and actor.
- How long was his assembly cut?
- Deleted scenes talk including fantasy sequences.
- What will be on the Blu-ray?