Billy Magnussen on ‘Game Night’, Guy Ritchie’s ‘Aladdin’, and Ike Barinholtz’s ‘The Oath’
I’ve got a pretty simple question for you: do you like to laugh? If you answered yes, then I’m going to strongly recommend checking out directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein’s new film Game Night. From start to finish, I was laughing. And if you thought it was just me, last week we held a special early screening of Game Night at ArcLight Cinemas Hollywood as part of the Collider screening series and it played like the crowd was on laughing gas. Trust me, see this in a crowded theater and you’ll have a great time.
If you haven’t seen the trailers (which, thankfully, don’t spoil all the jokes or twists and turns), the film stars Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams as a couple whose weekly game night gets kicked up a couple thousand notches when Bateman’s brother (played by Kyle Chandler) arranges a murder mystery party that quickly gets out of hand. Think of Game Night as a comedic version of David Fincher’s The Game. The film also stars Billy Magnussen, Sharon Horgan, Lamorne Morris, Kylie Bunbury, Chelsea Peretti, Danny Huston, Michael C. Hall and an amazing Jesse Plemons, who plays a police officer that lives next door to Bateman and McAdams.
Last week, at the Los Angeles press day, I got to sit down with Billy Magnussen for an exclusive video interview. He talked about how he got involved in Game Night, what it was like filming the group scenes, memorable moments from filming, working with Jesse Plemons, and a lot more. In addition, he talked about getting to work with Guy Ritchie on Disney’s live-action Aladdin movie (he plays Prince Anders) and why people should be excited about Ike Barinholtz’s The Oath.
Check out what Billy Magnussen had to say in the player above and a list of exactly what we talked about below.
- Did being in Ingrid Goes West help him to get more meetings after Sundance?
- How Game Night is a comedic version of David Fincher’s The Game.
- How did he get involved in Game Night?
- How did the audition go and how did he play the character?
- What was it like filming the group scenes?
- What was it like working with Jesse Plemons?
- He shares some memorable moments from filming Game Night.
- Talks about making Ike Barinholtz’s The Oath and what it’s about. Also how making sure that the side he’s portraying is making some decent points.
- What was it like making Guy Ritchie’s Aladdin?
- What’s coming up next?