With Black Mirror season 4 now streaming on Netflix, I recently got to sit down with director Jodie Foster and Rosemarie Dewitt to talk about their episode, “Arkangel.” Since Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker likes to keep the storylines under wraps, I’ll just say their episode is about a mother and daughter and told over several years in a near-future America where a sophisticated surveillance tool has changed the way parents can interact with their kids. Like many episodes of Black Mirror, the technology featured seems like it’s absolutely possible and it’s just a question of when. For more on their episode you can watch the trailer here.
During the interview, Jodie Foster and Rosemarie Dewitt talked about how they got involved in the project, what it was like working with Charlie Brooker, the technology in the episode, how everything is very secretive while during production, the editing process since there is no set length for an episode, and a lot more.
Check out what they had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about.
Jodie Foster and Rosemarie Dewitt:
- How did they get involved with Black Mirror?
- How the technology featured in the episode seems like it’s close to being possible.
- How does the editing process work when you don’t have to be a certain length?
- After Charlie Brooker gives you the script what is collaboration like?
- How everything is very secretive while during production.
- The use of technology and information sharing and how it’s changed.