Season 2 of Black Sails is heading into its second half and secrets are being revealed. No spoilers in case you haven’t watched it yet, but last week dropped a pretty huge bomb about Captain Flint’s (Toby Stephens) past. In present-day Nassau, there is a lot happening with Jack Rackham (Toby Schmitz), Max (Jessica Parker Kennedy) and Anne Bonney (Clara Paget) as well, though it’s a lot more subtle.
Power is shifting as Bonney discovers the depth of her feelings for Max and weighs that against her long history with Rackham. Just look at the threesome scene from the beginning of the season. It was far less about sex than it was about power; who could look who in the eyes and who was trying to escape their inner turmoil beneath the sheets.
I recently got a chance to visit the set of Black Sails in Cape Town, South Africa and chat with Schmitz and Paget about their characters and the power struggle that’s bringing up a lot of Bonney’s past and awakening things in her that she didn’t know were there. Make sure you stay tuned, because, in addition to the interview with Parker Kennedy and Zach McGowan we ran last week, we’ll have more coming up as the season progresses. When Season 3 premieres in 2016, we’ll have a bunch of sneak peeks and other big surprises.
Pirate fans will love this tidbit I learned from Starz Managing Director Carmi Zlotnick: They’re discussing how to bring in real-life Bonney and Packham cohort Mary Read. Schmitz and Paget weigh in on this as well.
Here’s the video interview followed by a time index to give you an overview of the conversation. Black Sails airs on Starz Saturday nights.
Toby Schmitz and Clara Paget:
- :08 — Paget and Schmitz talk about the shifting dynamics of Bonney and Rackham’s years-long relationship.
- 1:50 — A discussion of the threesome and the shifting balance of power between Max, Bonney and Rackham.
- 3:08 — Paget discusses the strong female characters in the show and Schmitz gives his take on the celebration and simultaneous reviling of women who step outside gender roles. (Quick tease of next week’s show, but not a spoiler.)
- 4:39 — Why Max and Bonney can’t be public about their relationship.
- 5:11 — How the show could bring in real-life pirate Mary Read.