Thanks to the fact that folks like us are busy scouring the internet for movie news every day, it isn’t easy keeping a project secret – especially one that’s part of a popular franchise. However, Lionsgate managed to pull off the impossible, get the public to believe that The Woods was its own thing and then drop the big news at San Diego Comic-Con last weekend; The Woods is actually the third installment of the Blair Witch franchise, simply titled Blair Witch.
Not only was the big reveal quite the achievement, but the movie itself is fantastic. Like I said in my video review, Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett manage to create a sense of sheer terror that’s very reminiscent of the 1999 original. The day after premiering the film in San Diego, Wingard, Barrett and producers Keith Calder and Jessica Wu, all came by the Collider press suite to talk about the big surprise, how the film came to be to begin with, what they learned about the found footage technique from working on the VHS films and so much more. You can check it all out in the video interview at the top of this article.
Adam Wingard, Simon Barrett, Jessica Wu & Keith Calder:
- 00:34 – How did the project come about? They talk about their love for the original film.
- 02:09 – Their thoughts on Book of Shadows and why they thought they would be a good fit for the sequel.
- 03:15 – With Blair Witch, they felt like they could finally make a real horror movie.
- 04:51 – The poor response to their V/H/S segments and why they’re hard on themselves.
- 05:45 – Their approach to found footage.
- 07:20 – When did they decide to make Heather’s brother the lead character?
- 08:10 – The camera testing process for the movie and how they lit the scenes.
- 09:45 – How their work on the V/H/S films helped inform their technique on Blair Witch.
- 10:50 – The helmet cameras.
- 13:30 – The physical challenges of the shoot.
- 15:25 – They talk about putting the cast together and having them audition with fake scripts.
- 17:05 – Did they ever slip and say “Blair Witch” when it was being kept a secret?
- 18:30 – Will there be more sequels?