With director Marc Forster’s All I See Is You opening in limited release this weekend, a few days ago I sat down with Blake Lively for an extended video interview. During our wide-ranging conversation she talked about how she got involved in the film, being nervous about the singing and nudity when reading the script which is why she decided she had to do it, what it was like working with Jason Clarke and Danny Huston, getting to work with Babyface, and a lot more. In addition, we talked about her early career like Accepted, how fans helped her land the role of Serena van der Woodsen in Gossip Girl, what was it like working with director Paul Feig and Anna Kendrick on A Simple Favor, producing The Husband’s Secret, and how she’s about to start training for director Reed Morano’s The Rhythm Section which includes fighting, swimming, fighting and learning new languages.
If you haven’t seen the trailers, All I See Is You stars Blake Lively as Gina, a blind woman in an “ideal marriage” with her husband (Jason Clarke), who she depends on to be her eyes in the world. But when Gina has a corneal transplant and regains her sight, the trust between them starts to wither away as Gina starts to have her own views of the world, and when she starts losing her sight once again, the truth about their relationship takes on new clarity.
Check out what Blake Lively had to say in the video above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by the official synopsis.
- How the last time I spoke to her was for Accepted at Comic-Con 2006.
- Did she have any idea her career would take off the way it did? Talks about how she had no intention of being an actor.
- Talks about the beginning of her career.
- How fans helped her get cast on Gossip Girl.
- Does she miss making a TV show and the long hours?
- How when making Gossip Girl they’d get their lines at the last second and a huge focus on the aesthetics.
How did she first meet Marc Forster for All I See is You?
- Talks about how she thinks she is funny like Jason Bateman.
- How she loves to sing. Talks about getting to work with Babyface.
- How she was nervous about the singing and nudity when reading the script and that’s why she decided she had to do the project.
- Does she become a different person after getting her sight back?
- Talks about working with Jason Clarke and Danny Huston.
- What was it like working with director Paul Feig and Anna Kendrick on A Simple Favor?
- How she’s getting into producing with The Husband’s Secret.
- How she’s about to start training for director Reed Morano’s The Rhythm Section which includes fighting, swimming, fighting and languages.
Here’s the official synopsis for All I See Is You:
Gina (Blake Lively) and husband James (Jason Clarke) have an almost perfect marriage. After being blinded as a child in a nearly fatal car crash that claimed her parent’s lives, Gina depends on James to be her eyes—a dependence that appears to solidify their passionate relationship. She sees her world in her own vivid imagination with help from James’ descriptions. Despite her disability, the two enjoy a colorful existence in Bangkok, Thailand where James works in insurance and Gina explores life in a foreign country. It seems the only real hardship this loving couple faces is difficulty conceiving a child but when Gina is given the opportunity to have a corneal transplant and regains her vision, their life and relationship are upended. Gina now sees the world with a new sense of wonder and independence which James finds threatening. It is only when Gina suddenly begins to lose her sight again that she finally realizes the disturbing reality of their marriage and their lives.