With writer-director Ben Younger’s (Boiler Room) boxing drama Bleed for This opening this weekend, I sat down with Aaron Eckhart a few days ago to talk about playing renowned trainer Kevin Rooney in the film. If you’re not familiar with this incredible true story, after winning two world title fights and shooting to stardom, Vinny “The Pazmanian Devil” Pazienza (played by Miles Teller) was in a brutal car wreck that left him with a broken neck and was told that he may never walk again. Against all odds and doctor’s orders, Kevin Rooney (Eckhart) agrees to help Vinny return to the ring, just a year after the accident, for what could be the last fight of his life. Bleed for This also stars Katey Sagal and Ciarán Hinds as Pazienza’s parents. The film was produced by Bruce Cohen and Martin Scorsese (full list of producers here).
During the interview, Eckhart talked about the challenges of only having 24 days to make the movie, how they had to pull back on the truth to make it believable, why Vinny Pazienza deserves a movie about his life, wanting to direct in the near future, why President Benjamin Asher won’t be making a return in the next Olympus Has Fallen sequel, and a lot more.
Check out what he had to say in the video above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by some images.
- How they shot the movie in only 24 days. Talks about how using your imagination and creativity to get out of tough situations when making a movie.
- Talks about how much great food he got to eat for the role.
- How they only could do two or three takes.
- How they pulled back on some of the truth because people wouldn’t believe it.
- Talks about why Vinny Pazienza deserves a movie about his life.
- Says that President Benjamin Asher won’t be making a return in the next Olympus Has Fallen sequel.
- How he wants to direct something.