Now playing in theaters is Brad Bird‘s Tomorrowland. The film stars George Clooney as Frank, a disillusioned boy-genius who teams up with the optimistic and scientifically-inclined Casey (Britt Robertson) to discover the secrets of the enigmatic place known as “Tomorrowland”. The film also stars Hugh Laurie, Tim McGraw, Judy Greer, Kathryn Hahn, Keegan-Michael Key, and Thomas Robinson, and was written by Damon Lindelof and Brad Bird, from a story by Lindelof & Bird & Jeff Jensen.
At the recent Los Angeles press day I landed an exclusive video interview with Brad Bird. He talked about his first cut of the film, test screenings, deleted scenes, how they landed Clooney, why he made Tomorrowland over helming Star Wars, the status of The Incredibles 2, the possibility of The Iron Giant returning to theaters (I’ve heard it’s happening), and a lot more. If you’re a fan of this gifted director I think you’re going to dig what he had to say.
As usual, I’ve listed what we talked about below the video.
- :05 – How long was his first cut vs the final release?
- 1:10 – Talks about doing test screenings early in the process.
- 2:08 – Were there any last second changes that came very close to being included the final film? Talks about why they removed the animation piece that was releases online.
- 3:54 – Says there are quite a few deleted scenes for the Blu-ray release.
- 4:50 – Are there Easter eggs in the film?
- 5:19 – How difficult was it to land George Clooney in the role of Frank? Talks about why he was interested in the film despite the fact it was a major studio blockbuster.
- 7:19 – Talks about why he chose to stick with Tomorrowland rather than jump on Star Wars.
- 8:02 – Is he interested in directing an Anthology film?
- 8:45 – Says he’s writing a sequel to Incredibles.
- 9:07 – Where is he at in the process of writing the Incredibles sequel?
- 10:03 – Says he thinks the Incredibles sequel is probably his next project.
- 10:07 – Talks about the possibility of a theatrical re-release of Iron Giant and the various discussions he’s had about it over the years.
- 11:41 – Says the Blu-ray and theatrical re-release will “happen in good time”.
- 12:47 – Says Warner Bros. needs to know there’s an audience for it.
For more Tomorrowland interviews:
- Britt Robertson Talks TOMORROWLAND, What She Learned From George Clooney and More
- TOMORROWLAND: George Clooney, Damon Lindelof, and Brad Bird on the Boldness of Originality and More
- Raffey Casidy Talks TOMORROWLAND, George Clooney’s On-Set Pranks, and More