At WonderCon on Sunday, Fox unveiled a 3 minute sizzle reel from their upcoming time travel and dinosaur filled TV series Terra Nova. While the show has been delayed until the fall, after watching the footage, I understand why. Not only does the show take place 85 million years in the past, it also takes place a hundred years in the future. Nothing is present day. It’s without a doubt one of the most ambitious ideas for network television to ever be greenlit and I couldn’t be more excited. For all our previous coverage on Terra Nova including trailers and images, click here.
Before the panel, I got to talk with producer Brannon Braga and producer/director Alex Graves. As a big time travel nerd, I tried to ask very geeky questions to see if they were playing the time travel real or having fun with it. Thankfully, everything they said made me think if they can pull this off, Terra Nova could be a huge hit. Some of the things we talked about were the communication between the past and future, how many episodes have they been picked up for and where are they in the production schedule, will people die, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
Brannon Braga and Alex Graves
- Talks about the footage they brought to WonderCon (They brought a 3-minute sizzle reel that highlights the script and the story in addition to the production values).
- 0:40 – There is very limited communication between the past and the future.
- 1:30 – They were picked up for 13 episodes. They have shot the first two.
- 1:45 – The show is about the people in this town. The creatures and other fantastical elements are more of a complicating factor.
- 2:35 – The Terra Nova take on time travel will be recognizable but with a few twists.
- 3:05 – Braga and Graves have been working on the show for over a year now. They have developed a clear vision for the series that expands beyond a single season.
- 3:55 – There will be casualties on the show (“redshirts galore”), but it is unlikely to be one of the series regulars any time soon.