One of the best shows on television is AMC’s Breaking Bad. While I’m sure you’ve heard the buzz about the show that stars Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Bob Odenkirk, Betsy Brandt and RJ Mitte…let me say it again: Breaking Bad is truly amazing television and if you haven’t gotten the chance to watch it, buy the DVDs and catch up. You will not be sorry.
Anyway, at this year’s Saturn Awards, I was able to speak with Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul and we talked about this past season and what the future holds. The big news is while production usually begins in August, Gilligan reveals the show doesn’t start filming until January as AMC is moving the show to the summer. What that means is…it’s going to be a long hiatus. We also talked about how long the show might be on the air, does he know where next season is going, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch the interview:
Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul
- Aaron Paul talks about winning Best Supporting Actor at the Saturn Awards
- Does he hear from a lot of fans how much they love the show
- :45 How was season 3 compared to season 2
- 1:25 – When did he know what would happen on the season finale. Tells a great story
- 1:55 – When does he start filming next season. Says while they usually film in August, they start filming in January. He thinks the reason is AMC wants to air it as a summer show next year.
- 2:20 – What is he working on right now and can he be anonymous in Los Angeles
- 3:00 – Creator Vince Gilligan walks in. Says the cast and writers are quite close
- 4:25 – How involved is AMC in the show? Do they give him a lot of notes or does he have a lot of creative freedom
- 6:05 – We talk about how the show sometimes sets things up very far in advance. I then ask about the writing process and how do they design those events
- 7:45 – Does he have an idea for where the show is eventually going to go – if you’re a fan of LOST….watch this part. Also if you want to see what backstage is really like….
- 9:30 – Has he imagined the show going for 6 years. He says he can’t see the show going past 5 years but way back when he couldn’t see the show going for 3 years…
- 11:05 – Does he know where next season is going to go and how does the January start date change things