As most of you know, the Broken Lizard guys have a new movie premièring at this year’s Slamdance Film Festival and it’s called “The Slammin’ Salmon”. Earlier this week we premiered the red band trailer and to say the response was huge…well, that would be an understatement. While I knew Broken Lizard had fans, the amount of bandwidth used in the first 24 hours was insane. Quite a response, meow.
So…when I was offered the chance to interview all the guys, I jumped at the opportunity. Not only was I curious about how “Slammin’ Salmon” came together, but I was hoping to find out what was up with some of their rumored future projects.
Thankfully, the guys couldn’t have been nicer, and with the help of Collider’s own Andre Dellamorte, we spoke to all five guys the other day.
However, while interviewing one person can sometimes be difficult, trying to speak with five people at the same time is next to impossible. So what we decided to do was break up the guys.
First, we spoke with Jay Chandrasekhar and Kevin Heffernan (click here to watch), as they’re the two directors. And after that interview was done, we spoke with Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske.
During our time with Steve, Paul and Erik we discussed not only how “Slammin’ Salmon” came together, but their inspiration for certain scenes in the movie. Of course we covered all the usual questions what it feels like to be going back to Slamdance and 3D porn…okay, maybe that’s not a normal question, but it did get your attention.
If you’re a fan of the Broken Lizard guys, I promise you’ll like this interview.
Finally, the other night the Broken Lizard guys held a friends and family screening for “Slammin’ Salmon” and I managed to interview the star of the movie Michael Clarke Duncan, as well as Sendhil Ramamurthy (“Heroes”) and Carla Gallo. If you missed those interviews just click the links.
And with that, here’s the interview. As always, I’ve listed what we talked about above each part.
Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske – Part 1
- What was it like to show Slammin’ Salmon to their friends and family – they had a screening the night before this interview
- How many of times have they seen their own movies
- What was it like working with Michael Clarke Duncan
- We talk about their writing process and how it works since they have 5 guys. They explain how they “switch the bitch”.
Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske – Part 2
- How did the scene of Michael Clarke Duncan punching a Swordfish in Slammin’ Salmon come about – they tell a great story
- I ask if there is one movie that would love to do a sequel to – they say they are currently writing Road Scholars. They also talk about a movie they want to do involving a hunchback during the inquisition
- Freeloaders movie talk
- Slamdance talk
Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske – Part 3
- How was it coming back to the independent world and do they feel like they have more control over their movie again
- I ask what the status is of their movies on Blu-ray
- They tell a very funny story about working in a restaurant…
- What can fans look forward to on The Slammin’ Salmon DVD/Blu-ray – they say it’ll have a ton of deleted scenes
- 3D talk – would they ever make a movie is 3D. They say they were approached to do it on this one
- And we end the interview talking about 3D porn…