Rumor has it that ABC’s Revenge star Emily VanCamp is in talks for a lead role opposite Chris Evans in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, the sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger takes place after the events of The Avengers and puts Cap (Evans) in the present day. Also starring Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Frank Grillo, Cobie Smulders, Toby Jones, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson, Captain America: The Winter Soldier opens April 4, 2014. Hit the jump for more, including just who VanCamp might be playing.
Deadline broke the news that VanCamp will likely be joining Evans as the lead in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but was short on details as to the role itself. Word around town is that VanCamp will star as Sharon Carter, a former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, off-and-on girlfriend of Steve Rogers, aka Captain America and a sister/niece of Peggy Carter. Seems like a pretty solid guess for VanCamp’s character, but we’ll update once the news is confirmed.
Here’s a brief recap of what we know about the sequel so far:
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier will shoot at least partially in Los Angeles.
- According to Mackie, who plays fellow superhero Falcon, filming is set to begin on April 1st. He added that his character will be able to fly like in the comic books.
- Grillo is playing Crossbones, a villain. The Winter Soldier is also probably a villain, although I assume that will change over the course of the movie since that’s how his character went in the comics.
- Toby Jones will return, but his character will likely appear in flashbacks.
- Hayley Atwell won’t be coming back, but actresses previously rumored for the lead role include Alison Brie, Emilia Clarke, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Felicity Jones, Anna Kendrick, and Imogen Poots. (Guess this one didn’t quite pan out.)