With Captain America: The Winter Solider the number one movie around the world, it’s finally time to share some of the filmmaker interviews that get into the spoilers of the film. However, before jumping into what screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely said about the making of Winter Soldier, I wanted to post what they had to say about Captain America 3.
As we reported a few weeks ago, Winter Solider directors Joe and Anthony Russo are returning to helm Captain America 3 and they’ve already got a release date: May 6, 2016. At the recent junket they told me, “We’re just in the formative stages of it right now. We just started breaking story with screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely and we’re just getting an idea of what we wanna do with it.” They added it’s hard to work on the story “before the movie even comes out because you want to see what people respond to.” Hit the jump for more.
Before going any further, if you haven’t seen Captain America: The Winter Solider, stop reading this article. Spoilers are about to be discussed.
- They’ve been working on Captain America 3 since late last year.
- They say they’ve in the early days of writing the script, which means they’re throwing out ideas to see what’s working.
- They’ve read Joss Whedon’s Avengers: Age of Ultron script, and are very happy with the way Captain America is handled and where he is when the film ends.
- They’re trying to make sure the other characters in Captain America 3 don’t overshadow Captain America since he needs to be the star of the film.
- They’re still not sure how big of a role Winter Soldier will have in the 3rd film.
Like everyone I’ve spoken to, I loved the introduction of the Winter Solider and think Sebastian Stan was a great addition to the cast. It’s going to be interesting to see how they work him in, how long before he’s fighting alongside Cap and then getting his own movie.
Here’s Markus and McFeely on Captain America 3. Look for more with them soon.
- 0:20 – Being invited to write Captain America 3
- 1:24 – How far they are in the writing process on Captain America 3
- 2:38 – Trying to work their script with the story for Avengers: Age of Ultron
- 3:48 – Figuring out the future for Bucky/Winter Soldier