It seems like just yesterday Marvel Studios dropped jaws with the announcement that Captain America 3 would be titled Captain America: Civil War, with Robert Downey Jr. co-starring opposite Chris Evans in a storyline that pits superhero against superhero. And yet here we are, finally at the release date for the highly anticipated Marvel film that brings together a swath of Marvel Cinematic Universe characters for one of the studio’s most emotionally charged entries to date.
Directors Joe and Anthony Russo had a massive challenge ahead of them, not only in crafting a satisfying “Cap vs. Tony” storyline, but also in putting together a complete Captain America story that continues the Winter Soldier storyline from the Russos’ Marvel debut Captain America: The Winter Soldier. As if that wasn’t enough, the brothers also decided to bring in the entire new Avengers team, introduce Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther, and introduce a brand new MCU-approved Spider-Man, played by Tom Holland.
Did they pull it off? Does Civil War live up to the critical hype? Is Black Panther everything we hoped for and more? And what does Civil War tell us about the Russos’ massive two-part game-changing epic Avengers: Infinity War? Matt’s full glowing review is on the site, but now that Civil War is out in the open, we want to hear from you, dear readers. What did you think about the latest Marvel film? And are comparisons to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice fair given the similarity in thematic material?
Sound off in the comments below. But first, peruse some of our recent exclusive Marvel and Civil War content and take a step back in time to the very first trailer for this highly anticipated superhero smackdown.
- Chris Evans on ‘Captain America: Civil War’, His Marvel Contract, and Casting Spider-Man
- Anthony & Joe Russo on How the ‘John Wick’ Directors Helped with ‘Civil War’ Action
- Joe & Anthony Russo Break Down Their ‘Civil War’ Directing Technique
- Writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely on ‘Captain America: Civil War’, Spider-Man, and ‘Avengers: Infinity War’
- Kevin Feige Talks ‘Captain America: Civil War’, ‘Spider-Man’, ‘Black Panther’, and More