Opening next weekend is the writer/director Rick Famuyiwa’s Our Family Wedding. The premise is a young couple (America Ferrera and Lance Gross) travel to Los Angeles to tell their families they’re getting married. Unfortunately, neither family is on board with their announcement, and each member has their own opinions on marriage and relationships. The film also stars Forest Whitaker, Carlos Mencia, Regina King, Anjelah Johnson, Diane-Maria Riva, and Lupe Ontiveros.
In the film, Carlos Mencia plays America Ferrera’s father and Anjelah N. Johnson plays her sister. As you might imagine when you cast two stand up comedians as family members, they’re not only there to help the story move forward, they’re also trying to make you laugh. To help promote the film, I recently got to speak with Carlos Mencia and Anjelah N. Johnson and you can watch our interview after the jump:
And if you’d like to watch some clips from Our Family Wedding, click here.
Carlos Mencia and Anjelah N. Johnson
- Is it hard to maintain the enthusiasm and comedy after you’ve been promoting for 6 hours
- Did they go after the movie or did it come after them
- They talk about the first reading for the movie
- Working with Forest Whitaker
- They both tell some behind the scenes stories