Screen Gems has released the first full trailer for director Kimberly Peirce’s (Boys Don’t Cry) upcoming remake Carrie. Based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King, the film revolves around a young girl (Chloe Grace Moretz) who discovers she has telekinetic powers and who is abused at home by her ultra-religious mother (Julianne Moore) and tormented at school by her peers. This full trailer gives us a much better idea of what Peirce’s vision for the story looks like (it’s almost too revealing), and it’s clear that this Carrie is going to be quite intense. There’s a bit of a superhero bent to the scenes in which Carrie is discovering her powers, and Peirce doesn’t look to be holding back when it comes to the more violent aspects of the story. The highlight, though, is the scenes between Moretz and Moore, which promise to be sufficiently disturbing. Matching the quality of Brian De Palma‘s masterful 1976 adaptation is a tall order, but hopefully Peirce brings an intriguing angle to her iteration of the King classic.
Hit the jump to watch the trailer. The film also stars Judy Greer, Portia Doubleday, Ansel Elgort, Alex Russell, and Gabriella Wilde. Carrie opens on October 18th.
Click here to get caught up on all of our previous and ongoing coverage for Carrie. Here are some recent highlights:
- It’s Still All about the Blood in New Image from CARRIE Starring Chloe Grace Moretz
- Toy Fair 2013: Images of Mezco’s BREAKING BAD and NECA’s Upcoming Toy Lines for CARRIE, ALIENS, KICK-ASS 2, PACIFIC RIM, PROMETHUES and More
- CARRIE Remake Pushed to October, NO GOOD DEAD Delayed Until Early 2014 and THE HIVE Gets a New Title and Release Date
- EVIL DEAD Releases First Images of the Book of the Dead/Necronomicon; CARRIE Kicks Off Viral Campaign with Disturbing Messages
- Chloe Grace Moretz Talks CARRIE, KICK-ASS 2, Video Games, XBox 360 vs. PS3, Future Projects and More at NYCC
- First Trailer for CARRIE Remake Starring Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore
- New York Comic-Con: CARRIE Panel Recap; First Look at the Teaser Trailer, Buckets of Blood, the First Poster, and More
Here’s the official synopsis for Carrie:
A reimagining of the classic horror tale about Carrie White (Chloe Grace Moretz), a shy girl outcast by her peers and sheltered by her deeply religious mother (Julianne Moore), who unleashes telekinetic terror on her small town after being pushed too far at her senior prom. Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King, Carrie is directed by Kimberly Peirce with a screenplay by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.