With director Joe Wright’s (Atonement) action/survival film Hanna opening this weekend, I recently got to speak with most of the cast. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett, and Eric Bana, the film tells the story of a 16-year-old trained assassin (Ronan) whose perpetual fleeing an intelligence agent (Blanchett) takes her across Europe. Like I said when I posted the clips, I thought Hanna was fantastic and the music by The Chemical Brothers fits the movie perfectly. Definitely recommended.
During my interview with Blanchett, we discussed why she got involved in Hanna and who she plays. We also talked about how Wright directs on set, what’s her karaoke song, and I asked her what’s up with The Hobbit and how she prepared to play the police investigator in Edgar Wright’s Hot Fuzz. Since she wore a mask during her brief scene, you may not have known she was in it. But I’d argue her performance is the only reason the film works. It was that important. Hit the jump to watch.
Note: The day I spoke to Blanchett I posted some of what you’re about to watch, but it was missing a lot of our conversation. Here’s the full interview. And if you missed my video interviews with Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana or director Joe Wright, just click the links.
- How did she prepare to play the police investigator in Hot Fuzz
- What’s her go to karaoke song
- I mention what Joe Wright said about her character and ask what are her thoughts. She also talks about the way Wright directs on set.
- What was it about this project that got her involved
- The Hobbit talk. How excited is she to be going back to Middle Earth