Now playing in theaters is John Wick. As I’ve said again and again…I loved this movie. In the film, Keanu Reeves stars as an ex-hitman who comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him. Filmmakers Chad Stahelski and David Leitch have crafted a fantastic action movie that’s absolutely worth your time and money. While you might not know their names, you’ve definitely seen their awesome work in films like Speed Racer, The Bourne Legacy, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and tons of others. On some of what I just mentioned they did the stunts, and on some they directed second unit (which means they directed a lot of the action). In addition to the films I just mentioned, they run 87eleven, which is the premiere action design team in Hollywood. When an actor needs to be trained for an action role, they get sent to 87eleven. While this is their first feature film as directors, I’m beyond confident it won’t be the last. Trust me. See John Wick this weekend.
At the recent New York City press day I landed an extended video interview with Chad Stahelski and David Leitch. They talked about how the finished film compares to what they envisioned, the changing color palette, deleted scenes, the great supporting cast, the different action set pieces, the status of their John Rain TV show with Keanu Reeves and how they want to up the level of what you can do with action on TV, what they did on the Wachowskis’ Jupiter Ascending, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:00 – On how much I love this movie.
- 0:43 – How the final product changed from how they envisioned the film originally.
- 2:46 – On the changing color palette of the film.
- 4:32 – The first cut of the film was 140 minutes, theatrical version is 96 minutes.
- 5:42 – Will there be any deleted scenes on the Blu-ray?
- 6:35 – On the film’s awesome supporting cast.
- 8:39 – What good actors bring to the material.
- 10:29 – The identities of the different action set pieces, was there another sequence planned?
- 11:30 – On John Wick as a calling card for upcoming directorial projects.
- 12:00 – They discuss the development of Rain with Keanu Reeves.
- 13:20 – On the escalating level of quality TV and how they want to bring action to it.
- 14:18 – They talk pre-production of the set pieces with Keanu. Training, diet, etc…
- 16:09 – On their involvement with The Wachowskis’ Jupiter Ascending.