With NBC’s Community returning with new episodes tonight, it’s time for the last interview from my recent set visit. If you’ve been reading the site the past few weeks, you’ve probably seen our video interviews with Joel McHale with Alison Brie, Danny Pudi with Yvette Nicole Brown, and Donald Glover with Gillian Jacobs. For our final on set interview, I’ve got Chevy Chase with Michael K. Williams (who is playing a new professor).
During the interview they talked about how Williams got cast on the show, how do they prepare as the script is constantly being tweaked on set, Chase talks about where we last left off with Pierce last season and whether or not he will redeem himself this season, and why he took the job on Community after being in semi-retirement. In addition, Williams talks about transitioning from TV to film after The Wire, Chase talks about the Vacation and Fletch reboots, and he also talks about wanting to host Saturday Night Live again. Hit the jump to watch and make sure to tune into Community tonight!
Chevy Chase Michael K. Williams Time Index
- :25 Williams talks about how he came to the show. Says the writers tweeted him asking if he wanted to be on the series.
- 1:55 Did Williams ever envision himself doing comedy? Chase decides to answer the question for him.
- 3:10 Williams actually gets around to answering the question himself.
- 3:52 How familiar were they with each other’s work beforehand
5:00 How do they prepare as actors when the script is constantly being tweaked on set
- 5:55 Chase talks about why he took the job on Community after being in semi-retirement.
- 6:50 Williams talks about his character on the show.
- 8:43 Chase talks about where we last left off with Pierce last season, and whether or not he will redeem himself this season.
- 10:50 Chase talks about whether or not Pierce will clash with Williams’ character.
- 11:40 Williams talks about transitioning from TV to film after The Wire.
- 12:49 Chase talks about people relating to going back to school in their later years.
- 14:13 Chase talks about the Vacation and Fletch reboots.
- “I don’t know what’s gonna happen with that. It’s the same thing with Fletch, I think they had Fletch and then they sold that to Warners too. So we’ll see. I mean look, I’m not gonna do Fletch unless I’m Fletch, if they start writing something for a kid who’s Fletch and I’m just helping out, “Bye.” I mean, there’s no reason why, at my age, I can’t still be Fletch. I’ve always been getting this impression that they’d like me to be mentoring a younger Fletch type thing. No, what am I James Coburn on a Western? No. Nothing against James Coburn, he’s great. Is he alive? Yeah I think he is. I think he’s very much alive. And Vacation, actually Beverly D’Angelo and I have been working on our own script, which is pretty dang funny. I’ve written an idea that would be basically like a “Swiss Family Griswold.” There’s a cruise, there’s a fire on the ship, we think the whole ship’s on fire and we jump—it’s just a little fire—and we end up on an island where we meet Randy somewhere who’s been left there from an old Survivor series. I like that idea. It’s hard to sell these things to the Warners people. It depends on who’s there and what their mood is and what they think people are gonna like.”
- 16:03 Do people yell “Oh shit it’s Omar!” at Williams in Starbucks
- 16:28 Does Chase still talk to Lorne Michaels about Saturday Night Live. He also talks about his desire to host SNL again.
- 17:18 Does Chase still have injuries from the prat falls he used to take