Opening next weekend is director Nicholas Stoller’s extremely funny R-rated comedy Neighbors. The film stars Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne as a married couple with a newborn baby who must deal with a fraternity—fronted by Zac Efron—when it moves in next door. Response to the pic’s premiere at the SXSW Film Festival was highly positive, and the theater I was in loved the film. It’s definitely something you should see with a big audience next weekend. Neighbors also stars Dave Franco, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Jake Johnson, Ike Barinholtz, Carla Gallo, Jerrod Carmichael, and Lisa Kudrow.
Yesterday at the New York City press junket I landed an extended video interview with Christopher Mintz-Plasse. During our wide ranging conversation he talked about how much fun he had making Neighbors, seeing it drunk with a great audience at SXSW, deleted scenes, his characters unique attribute, an Easter Egg you should look for in the film, Zac Efron’s work in the film, how the film pushes boundaries, and more. In addition, we also talked about Pitch Perfect, Superbad, How to Train Your Dragon 2, TV shows, and so much more.
- 0:10 – Talks about what current TV shows he’s watching, including Game of Thrones, Fargo, and The Following.
- 2:00 – Talks about how fun the movie is and how fun it was to make.
- 2:35 – Comments on the first time he saw the film at SXSW.
- 3:05 – Reveals more about his character and his unique attribute, plus deleted scenes.
- 3:40 – Talks more about deleted scenes and how much of his work ended up being cut, plus more on Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally.
- 4:45 – Talks about whether people want to talk to him more about his work in Superbad or Pitch Perfect.
- 5:45 – Comments on how he got involved with Neighbors.
- 7:00 – Talks about his time filming This Is the End.
- 8:00 – Reveals that he’s worked on a TV show that ended in a tragic way.
- 9:20 – Comments on his work on How to Train Your Dragon 2, its inspiration, and its tone.
- 10:05 – Talks more about How to Train Your Dragon 2, the script, and his part in it.
- 10:30 – Briefly talks about a film he shot titled Tag.
- 11:15 – Talks about what else he’s been up to besides filming, including making an album with his band and a possible attachment to an upcoming script from a friend of his.
- 12:30 – Talks about pushing comedy boundaries in Neighbors and Zac Efron’s work in the film.
- 13:30 – Reveals some of the more shocking scenes in Neighbors, including his work that won’t make it into the film.
- 14:05 – Says he’s excited for people to see the Robert De Niro scene, and to look for him in the scene as a sort of Easter egg.