On Sunday morning, Joss Whedon and the cast of his Shakespeare adaptation, Much Ado About Nothing, took the stage at WonderCon. For more on the presentation, here’s Dave’s recap and the trailer. Shortly after it ended, I sat down with Clark Gregg for an extended interview. During our wide ranging conversation, we talked about what it’s like for him at WonderCon/Comic-Con now that he’s famous for playing Agent Coulson, how he got involved in Much Ado About Nothing, the process of filming Shakespeare via Whedon, the S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot and possible series, the fact that Coulson is alive after the events of The Avengers and how that impacts future Marvel movies, his role in Jason Reitman’s Labor Day, The To-Do List, voicing Agent Coulson on Ultimate Spider-Man, and so much more.
In addition, while many of you just know Gregg as Agent Coulson in the Marvel movies, he’s also a talented writer/director, having helmed a feature adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk’s Choke a few years ago that starred Sam Rockwell, Anjelica Huston, and Kelly Macdonald. In the years since Choke was made, he’s been developing his follow up, Trust Me, and it premieres in a few weeks at the Tribeca Film Festival in NYC. During the interview, we also talked about what it’s about, the great cast, and when we might be seeing a trailer. Hit the jump to watch the interview.
- :18 Talks about walking the floor at WonderCon or Comic-Con now that he’s known as Agent Coulson.
- 1:05 His reaction when Joss Whedon first told him he was going to be adapting Much Ado About Nothing. Talks about the process of filming Shakespeare via Whedon.
- 2:38 The difficulty of the language and dialogue of Shakespeare and how his Marvel background prepared him for that.
- 3:12 What took him five years to get to his next directorial feature? Talks about Trust Me.
- 4:33 Was Tribeca Film Festival always his goal? Says he was initially targeting a Sundance debut but it took him longer to shoot and edit the film.
- 5:11 Talks about his cast for Trust Me and when we can see a trailer.
- 6:04 When did he first find out that he’d be involved with the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show pilot?
- 7:55 Does the pilot explain how Coulson is back or is it kept a mystery for a few episodes?
- 8:39 The experience of Whedon directing TV after helming The Avengers and Gregg having to lead the cast.
- 9:53 Was it weird for him to sign a multi-year deal for TV?
- 10:55 Talks about his role in Jason Reitman’s Labor Day.
- 12:06 Voicing Agent Coulson on Ultimate Spider-Man.
- 13:19 Has he seen a rough cut of The To-Do List? Talks about the film.
- 14:21 Is it possible that Agent Coulson could exist in future Marvel movies now?