A few days ago at Comic-Con, I landed an exclusive video interview with Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 directors Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn. The sequel’s plot revolves around Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader) and Sam Sparks (Anna Faris) returning to Swallow Falls to clean up the mess created by the FLDSMDFR, only to find that food is now taking on the form of mutant beasts. Based on the trailers, the film looks to be every bit as zany as the first one and then some, so if you’re worried about Cameron and Pearn handling the follow-up (Phil Lord and Chris Miller directed the first one), I don’t think you have to worry.
During the interview, they talked about taking over the franchise, what the sequel is about, the development process, editing, Easter Eggs, the worldwide release schedule, the possibility of future sequels, how advances in technology have made the animation process easier, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 opens in 3D on September 27th.
- :24 – Taking over as directors after the success of the first film. Talk about getting to play within the genre of a monster movie.
- 1:43 – Tease the story of the sequel. They joke that the logline is “Food is people too.”
- 2:42 – The development process of the film and how much changed. About 95% of what they draw gets thrown away.
- 4:02 – Where are they in the editing process? They just have four more weeks of lighting.
- 4:39 – Talk about the worldwide release and finalizing the movie by the beginning of August.
- 5:18 – Easter Eggs. They have a Sasquash that hides in different places throughout the film. Noodle Guy and Joe Town return from the first film as well.
- 6:22 – The final runtime is 84 minutes without the coda. Talk about cutting it down and what might make it to the Blu-ray as deleted scenes.
- 7:32 – The advancement of technology and how the render time is becoming shorter.
- 10:05 – Is Cloudy 3 a guaranteed thing? They say that there are a bunch of different avenues they can go down now after making Cloudy 2.