With Jurassic World now in theaters, I recently landed an exclusive interview with director Colin Trevorrow. While there was definitely a lot of debate if Trevorrow was the right person to helm the sequel, I think he did a great job with his first big studio movie. During the interview he talked about how he got the job, building a foundation for future installments, if he’s interested in directing a Jurassic World sequel, deleted scenes, and what will be on the Blu-ray. He even plays “Save or Kill.”
If you didn’t know, executive producer Steven Spielberg personally oversaw the story development, as Trevorrow and his writing partner Derek Connolly fine-tuned the existing screenplay penned by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes), which for the first time takes place within a functioning Jurassic Park. The film also stars Nick Robinson, Ty Simpkins, Vincent D’Onofrio, Omar Sy, Irrfan Khan, Jake Johnson, and Judy Greer. For more on the film, read Perri’s review.
Here’s the interview followed by a time index of what we talked about.
- 00:05 – How he landed Jurassic World after Safety Not Guaranteed.
- 01:05 – If they were going to make another Jurassic Park movie, they needed to know why.
- 01:45 – Applying new themes to the property.
- 03:15 – The theatrical release is his director’s cut.
- 04:28 – On building a foundation for future installments.
- 05:54 – These movies won’t always be about a Jurassic Park; there is the potential for humans to share the planet with dinosaurs like we do with animals now.
- 06:16 – Is he interested in directing another Jurassic movie?
- 07:58 – He already set up the movies he wants to make next, Book of Henry and Intelligent Life.
- 09:45 – Plays ‘Save or Kill’.
- 15:00 – What to expect from the Jurassic World Blu-ray.
- 12:39 – The one deleted scene and why he cut it.