While fandom comes out in droves, the San Diego Comic-Con is a Mecca for entertainment advertising.Â Warner Bros. is particularly adept at moving beyond the standard banners and posters and in the past they have used free gigantic bags and room keys to promote their TV shows.Â This year, they’ll at least be doing the room keys again and they’ll be showcasing their new TV series Alcatraz and Person of Interest, the web series Mortal Kombat: Legacy, the DVD box set for Smallville: The Complete Series, and the video game The Lord of the Rings: War in the North.Â There will be 40,000 room keys at 36 participating hotels and if you get one it will be a piece of plastic that you’ll cherish for the rest of your life.
Hit the jump to check out images of the room keys along with the press release.
Here’s the press release:
WARNER BROS. TO THROW â€śKEY PARTYâ€ť AT COMIC-CON 2011
Studio Creating Nearly 40,000 Limited-Edition Collectible Hotel Keycards for TV
Series Alcatraz and Person of Interest, DVD Release of Smallville: The Complete
Series, Original New Media Series Mortal Kombat: Legacy and More
Keycard for The Lord of the Rings: War in the North Video Game
Provides Registration Details for a Special Comic-Con Event
Where Fans Can Experience the Darkness of Middle-earth
BURBANK, Calif. (June 29, 2011) â€” Warner Bros. Entertainment is throwing a key party at Comic-Con! The Studio has once again created a set of limited-edition collectible hotel keycards, which will be in use at top hotels throughout the San Diego area during the â€™Con. This marks the fourth consecutive year for the popular room key program.
Nearly 40,000 branded room keys will be available to fans at 36 participating hotels, courtesy of Warner Bros. Worldwide Television Marketing.
For Comic-Con 2011, Warner Bros. has created all-new keycards for five of the Studioâ€™s series, video games and home entertainment releases, including:
- The upcoming new Warner Bros. Television series Alcatraz and Person of Interest
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Groupâ€™s DVD release of Smallville: The Complete Series
- The original live-action new media series Mortal Kombat: Legacy, from Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainmentâ€™s The Lord of the Rings: War in the North video game, with instructions on how fans can register to experience a special event at 8 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, at 5th Avenue and J Street in the heart of San Diegoâ€™s Gaslamp Quarter
- Alcatraz: Executive producers J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Fringe) and Elizabeth Sarnoff (Lost) deliver a chilling new midseason drama for FOX revolving around Americaâ€™s most infamous prison, the one-time home to the nationâ€™s worst murderers, rapists, kidnappers, thieves and arsonists. The series stars Sarah Jones (Sons of Anarchy), Jorge Garcia (Lost) and Sam Neill (Jurassic Park). Alcatraz will debut in midseason, airing Mondays 9/8c on FOX.
- Person of Interest: Jim Caviezel (The Thin Red Line), Michael Emerson (Lost) and Taraji P. Henson (Hustle & Flow) team up in this crime action-drama from The Dark Knightâ€™s Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abramsâ€™ Bad Robot Productions (Super 8, Fringe). Set in New York City, with all of its multifaceted elements of justice (cops, criminals, corruption), this procedural centers on an ex-CIA agent, presumed dead, who partners with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes. The series will air Thursdays at 9/8c on CBS this fall.
- Smallville: Warner Bros. Televisionâ€™s hit series Smallville recently concluded its 10th and final season on The CW, but fans can soon have all 218 episodes â€” plus five hours of newly added special features, including an all-new 90-minute retrospective â€” in their collection as Warner Home Video releases Smallville: The Complete Series on DVD this fall.
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy: This original live-action new media series from Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution is directed by Kevin Tancharoen (Fame); stars Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Voyager) as Sonya Blade, Michael Jai White (The Dark Knight) as Major Jackson â€śJaxâ€ť Briggs and Darren Shahlavi (300) as Kano; is based on the video game Mortal Kombat, created by Ed Boon; and takes gamers deep into the history of the warriors they know and love. Mortal Kombat: Legacy can be viewed on Machinima.com and will be available for download via iTunes, Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network starting July 18.
- The Lord of the Rings: War in the North: This is an intense, Action RPG video game for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC with an original story based on the renowned works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Up to three gamers can play together or perish as they form their own fellowship to defeat Sauronâ€™s forces in the North of Middle-earth. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment invites Comic-Con fans to a special event at 8 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, at 5th Avenue and J Street in the heart of San Diegoâ€™s Gaslamp Quarter. Fans can experience Middle-earth like never before and play the new The Lord of the Rings game months before its official release. Beginning on Wednesday, July 20, fans can text WITN to 82257 or log on to warinthenorth.com/comic-con for more details about the event.