At this year’s Comic-Con, I was able to speak with a few cast members of Syfy’s hit show Stargate Universe. As I’ve said a few times, I never watched any of the previous Stargate shows, but I’ve been very impressed with SGU (Stargate Universe). Since the show has only aired one full season and it doesn’t return until late September, I really recommend renting/buying the first season and catching up. It’s absolutely worth it.
Anyway, over the last few days I posted my exclusive interviews with David Blue and Robert Carlyle, and tonight I’ve got the last one and it’s with Co-Creator/Writer/Executive Producer Robert Cooper. During the interview, Cooper talked about how SGU is different from the previous shows, do they have a five year plan, how far ahead have they scripted, he compares the next twenty episodes to the first twenty, what percentage of Destiny has been explored, he reveals some of the storylines of season two, and a lot more. If you’re a fan of SGU, you’ll love the interview. Hit the jump to check it out:
- Talks about his experiences at Comic-Con
- 1:00 – Has he found a lot of people watching Stargate for the first time with SGU
- 2:00 – We talk about how a show doesn’t have to get 20 million viewers anymore and that niche shows can now survive and thrive
- 4:40 – We talk about sci-fi and pop culture
- 6:30 – Will America watch sci-fi when they don’t know it’s sci-fi
- 7:25 – How far along have they planned the storyline? Do they have a 5 year plan?
- 10:00 – Says they do have an idea of why the Ancients built Destiny and where they could take the series
- 10:20 – Planning season 2…did they know where they wanted to go before the season started. With it being two 10 episode seasons, they look at it as two 10 episode storylines
- 12:40 – The mythology of the show. How do they bridge the gap for new viewers vs. regular viewers
- 14:45 – Talks about how they were going for a big story with SGU
- 15:25 – How would he compare the first 20 episodes to the second 20 episodes. Says they first 20 were introductory to the characters and the next 20 have the characters hitting the ground running
- 17:15 – Next season starts end of September and then the next 10 starts in March or April
- 17:40 – What is he really loving about SGU
- 19:40 – What is the percentage of what has been explored on Destiny? He says about 30% of the ship is being used right now.
- 20:40 – Next season episode 2 starts with Rush figuring out how to get into the Bridge of Destiny
- 21:30 – Will it be every 10 episodes we get a new set or two
- 22:05 – With the bridge set does that imply more control of the ship…
- 23:00 – Where are they in the production schedule. Says the plan is every 10 episodes to cover a new galaxy