At long last, Community has a premiere date. The Dan Harmon-less fourth season of the whip smart comedy series was initially set to premiere this month on Fridays, then NBC announced that they were holding the show for an unspecified premiere date sometime in the future. Many assumed that the network was saving the series as a replacement in the event that one of their new comedy shows got cancelled, but when Animal Practice was given the axe NBC gave the timeslot to Whitney instead.
The cast put together a sort of fan-appreciation video in the wake of the delay news, and now finally some good news has surfaced as star Yvette Nicole Brown announced on Twitter that the fourth season will premiere on Thursday, February 7th at 8pm. Hit the jump for more. [Update: NBC has confirmed the date with the release of their full midseason schedule, which is included after the jump and announces a break for Revolution, a move for Smash, and more.]
I had a hunch that NBC would use Community to fill 30 Rock’s timeslot once that show ends its 13-episode final season this winter, but I assumed the series would return sometime in January. Many fans were upset that the comedy had been moved to Fridays (setting it up for a probable ratings failure), but now it appears that Community will return in the same timeslot that it’s had for the past few years. Though this will be the first season without Dan Harmon, quite a few promising guest stars are already slated to appear including James Brolin, Malcolm McDowell, Matt Lucas, and Brie Larson. Moreover, Danny Pudi teased an episode in which Troy and Abed will attend an Inspector Spacetime convention.
The February launch date isn’t a terrible platform to begin the show’s fourth season, but their Halloween-themed episode will surely feel a tad out of place. Better late than never, eh?
Here’s NBC’s full midseason schedule (via THR):
- New Drama “Deception” (Formerly “Infamous”) January 7
- New Comedy “1600 Penn” January 10
- New Relationship Series “Ready for Love” from Eva Longoria March 31
- “The Voice” Begins Fourth Cycle March 25/26
- The Season’s Newest Hit “Revolution” Returns March 25
- “The Biggest Loser” Weighs in January 6/7 with Return of Jillian Michaels
- “Smash” Dances Back to the Schedule February 5 with Oscar Winner Jennifer Hudson
- “Community” Returns February 7
- “The Celebrity Apprentice” Debuts March 3
- “Betty White’s Off Their Rockers” Comes Back January 8